Sharing is Caring

"Angel...AN-GEL! Listen to me!" exclaimed a loud voice. It was booming through the dorm hallway. It got louder and louder once I got closer to my room. I put my ear on the door and determine that the voice was coming from my room. That must be the roommate. I wanted to wait until that whole thing was done. Luckily, there was a set of chairs that were in the hallway, so I sat close to the door, but far enough away to make myself less obvious. "I don't give a fuck about none of that! I told yo ass-"... once I realized I couldn't hear anyone responding to her, I assumed she was on the phone. And I also deduced that she was pretty angry with whoever this 'Angel' person was. "You're tripping over nothing. I didn't do it!" A few more minutes of silence go by. "You're doing too much whining and I ain't tryna hear it. Proof, my ass!"

After a few minutes I got tired of waiting and used my key and walked in.

I walked into the room to find a brownskinned girl who looked to be shorter than me. Her straight, burgundy hair fell straight down her back. She was wearing a Lakers' jersey and matching basketball shorts. As she turned around to greet me, her hair swished around, like those white ladies in the L'Oreal commercials. Only then could I see her dark brown eyes and perfectly manicured eyebrows. Her left one was pierced with a small golden bar. "Hey, uh.. is this a bad time?" I asked the girl. I was only asking this to be polite and maybe get a little tea. Truth be told, even if she is gonna say 'yes', I was just gonna continue unpacking. With how expensive these damn rooms are, I'm going to be in this bitch until infinity and beyond. "Oh, uh.. no. Sorry. Exactly how much did you hear?"

I decided to be honest. "Uh, around the time you had to tell Angel to shut up." She chuckles. "Sorry. You know how exes are."

"Don't we all? Anyway, I'm Gwen."

"Oh, yeah. Hey. I'm Cam." she says, as I glance at her name placard that she had just put up. Cameron Carter. Hmm.

"Well, nice to meet you, Cam." I say.

"Likewise. Let me know when you want to go over the Roommate Agreement thing. We gotta turn it in before classes start." she says.

I nod at her to let her know I understood. Then, her phone rings again. She answers it. "Angel, I'm not finna do this with you right now. I promise you, I'm not."

Then, she picks up her lanyard which has her photo ID in it and proceeds to do whatever 'this' was, with Angel. I shook my head as she closed the door, arguing.

I took out my earphones, opened up my Soundcloud, opened up my cleaning playlist, picked a song and got right to work. The very first thing I did was make my bed up. At the very least, if I got lazy and decided to hold off on unpacking, I was gonna sleep in a fully decorated bed. After all, it was my favorite place to be.

A couple hours later, I had finally finished putting all my things up. I stood back and admired my work. I thought it was pretty cool-- everything was mostly black with a lot of color integrated in it. Perfect representation of me— mostly dark, with a sizeable amount of sparkle and fun, colorful shit. Then, it was time for the Floor Meeting. Each of the RAs on each floor had knocked on all the doors and asked the residents to join them in the lobby. I headed to the lobby, with my earphones in my ear, playing a soft instrumental. I found that those calm me down whenever I'm feeling a little anxious. A few minutes later, after watching loads of other students trickle into the available chairs in the lobby, the RAs came forward and introduced themselves.

One was a tan white dude. He stood to be about 6 feet tall, with short and spiked blonde hair. He had dark blue eyes with just a little stubble around his mouth. He wore an indigo shirt with small white lettering at the top right breast. It said "Resident Assistant", and under that, were the letters J-O-E-L. Joel. Must be this guy's name. Joel sat down on the table in front of us, next to a woman with a similar shirt. I could see his wrinkled khaki shorts and noticed a familiar orange dust. Really, Joel? You couldn't have washed your hands after you ate your cheetos? I chuckled softly at how quickly I spotted that. The stain wasn't big at all, it was barely noticeable. I just zoned completely out for a second. I was brought back to reality when the woman started to talk. Her outfit was almost identical, except her shirt had her own name on it--Araya.

"Hello, freshmen. Welcome to Trinity Rowe University. I am Araya, and I will be helping you all with your transition from high school to college life." she said, with a cheerful voice and a smile. She pushed back her jet black bang to reveal her other eye as Joel begins to talk. But, I wasn't paying attention to him. Araya was out here looking like a model, even in the most basic outfit I'd ever seen in my life. She was a dark-skinned beauty who stood at least a few inches taller than Joel, with no help. Her hair seemed to go on forever, and the lip gloss she sported accentuated her full lips perfectly. Her eyes were big and cocoa-brown. She had on a coat of shimmery eyeshadow that matched the shirt she was wearing. I watch as she drags her nails through her hair, combing it. They were long stilletto nails, with gold accents on every other nail. She was fine. She looks around the crowd and then smiles a little when she realizes I've been watching her for a second. I smile back, but only swiftly, and avert my gaze. The last thing I need is for pretty women to be smiling at me. I was trying to lay low, and that meant all socialization with others had to stay minimal.

"Alright," said Araya, after Joel got done saying whatever he was saying. "Now that we have gone over all of the rules and you're more familiar with us, it's time for you to become familiar with each other. We'll start by introducing ourselves to each other. Let's go across the room. Everyone will stand up, and then say one fact about themselves. Let's start with the back row."

I rolled my eyes, because of course I'm sitting in the back row. It's supposed to provide you with some kind of privacy, and the last thing I needed was to be one of the first people to introduce myself. Oh well, at least I wasn't the first. So, the first three girls got up and introduced themselves. They were all best friends in high school. The first one was that loud ass tall girl who was in front of the cafeteria earlier. She stood up and gave everyone a pageant smile. "Hi, I'm Bridget. Bridget Allen. Um, one interesting fact about me is that my dad is Brian Allen."

I rolled my eyes. I knew who Brian Allen was. Lately he had been taking on cases in which his clients were celebrities. He was a lawyer. He wasn't super famous but he definitely has some notoriety. I just didn't understand why Bridget's fact had nothing to do with her own personality or anything. Just, "hello, my dad is semi-famous, LOL." Her friends were identical twins who were dressed almost exactly like Bridget. Their hair was almost identical-- it was black, and one twin had highlights, while the other had lowlights. One of them had wavy hair, while the other wore hers straight. They introduced themselves as Sara and Cara. They shared that they were once cast in a documentary about twins, as kids. Whatever.

Then, it was my turn. I stood up and scanned the room. I spotted Cam in the front, with some girl. She waved to me and I smiled slightly to acknowledge her. "Hey, I'm Gwen. Um... one interesting fact about me is..."

Shit, what do I do? What is one of my talents? I don't draw. I don't sing.

"..that I can write equally well with both hands." I expected the crowd to look at me quizzically, but they were impressed for the most part. I don't know why, because I was lying. Now, I had been trying to get to that point—I wasn't quite there yet but my weak hand's penmanship was pretty legible. I just said that 'cause didn't know what else to say. I sat back down and watch as the rest of them introduce themselves. Soon enough, it was Cam's turn. While she stood up, the girl next to her obviously wanted to keep herself wrapped up into Cam. First of all, it was news to me that I had a gay as a roommate. Great. At least I won't get any stupid questions about how it is to be gay once it eventually comes out that I'm into women, too. The girl sighed as Cam walked up and stood beside the RAs. "I'm Cam. One interesting fact about me is that I can read fortunes." I call BS, but at the end of the day, I thought that stuff was pretty cool. Next, it was the clingy girl's turn to introduce herself. "I'm Kleo." I looked at Kleo and studied her face. Her hair was light brown, being just a few shades brighter than her own skin color. Her eyes were friendly, but the makeup was fierce. She only got about halfway through the sentence before I realized she had a small birthmark in the shape of Africa on her right nostril. It reminds me of someone else. What her name? What was that girl's name? I remember she used to come over to my house all the time, what is...

No way. It couldn't be... that's.. that's Neki.

Why the fuck is Nekole Davis going around, calling herself Kleo?