Stranger Danger

I carefully inspect my appearance in my mirror that sits over my desk. I needed to make sure everything about me looked perfect. I was on my way to meet KP. As I scanned my reflection for any imperfections, I agonized over how I would act. I was nervous to be meeting somebody for the first time. It felt kind of weird to be meeting up with a stranger I met online. I guess it isn't too weird 'cause we go to the same school. Chances are I would've ran across her path anyway... right?

From what it sounds like, she's been here longer than me, too. I doubt she's a freshman. Otherwise, I would've seen her at Orientation. And I don't think she's the kind of person who you don't notice. Actually, I know.

I was going to be tight-lipped about this whole situation. If anyone asks, I'd tell them I was going to the library, but not why. I figured nobody would ask other than Cam... or maybe Tracey. I didn't feel comfortable with getting too personal with them, yet. Even if I did, I wasn't gonna tell them I was meeting up with somebody for the first time, like it was a blind date or something. Both of them would assume something was gonna go down. Hell, they'd probably encourage it. I just wanted to get through this night without a hitch.

Just then, Cam strolls through the door, and notices that I'm in different attire from this morning. I had taken the time to take  shower and actually get ready for this encounter with KP.

"Hey, girl." she greeted.

"Hey." I responded, trying to act normal. If she could tell I was off in any way, it would lead to her asking questions that, frankly, I just didn't wanna answer. Not long after that she started to really pay attention to what I was doing. I could tell the exact moment that she registered I changed into a whole new outfit.  The fact that my socks were still laid out on the bed, with my shoes in the front were probably a dead giveaway that I was going to be going somewhere.

"Where you going? Out with Tracey?" she asked. Before I can even answer, she had another question. "Why you ain't ask me to go?"

I laugh. "I'm not going out with Tracey. I'm not really going out, period. I'm just heading to the library. I just wanted to, you know, freshen up."

"I dunno man, that's a lot to be doing just to going to the library. What are you going for, anyway? We just went. " she says, running her hands through her hair.

"So? I'm going again." I respond. "Tracey did ask me to check out this restaurant with her today, though. Maybe you can call her up and go with her, instead. She definitely wanted me to extend the invitation to you, so, yeah."

That wasn't totally true. She still couldn't get up the nerve to ask Cam out, herself, even after knowing she had some of the same qualities that Cam likes in women. So I thought I'd throw her a little bone by setting up something for her, and giving Cam something to do instead of worrying about what I'm doing.

Cam looks at me suspiciously, but ultimately decided to hit Tracey up.

After I finish perfecting my appearance, I get a text out of nowhere.

Tracey: Biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch! Who you going to meet?

I rolled my eyes. Gee, I wonder how she learned about my plans for the night. I shoot a look at Cam, who only laughs.

Me: What are you talkin bout?

Tracey: Cam told me you were going to see somebody & you suggested we hang out.

Me: That's not what I said. I did tell her you wanted to check out that new spot with her, though. Good luck with that!

Tracey: I see you didn't deny going to see anybody. May we both get laid tonight. Amen.