Chapter 28

The palace and whole city of hastinapur was decorated like a bride itself. The fragrance of fresh flowers was hovering in the air. A grand hall was decorated in front of the palace. Many suitors from entire aryavart had gathered in the palace of hastinapur. The palace seemed like a bee hive, full of bees. Beautiful rangolis were drawn in front of every house of the city. Everyone in the family was busy in their own work. It was one day before lakshmana's swayamvar.

It was late afternoon and lakshmana was sitting in her chamber, with all her lady family members. They all were talking about the moments from lakshmana's birth till today's day. Momentarily, a drop of tear would escape someone's eyes, but it would get mingled between the giggles and chuckles of others. " Dushala jiji, you remember, when lakshi lifted a snake thinking it was a necklace " Indumati said suppressing her laughter.

" Absolutely bhabhi " Dushala chuckled covering her mouth. " And also, when she had ate ants while playing " Supriya interrupted,and the whole chamber was filled with laughter. Lakshmana looked at them with frown and mock anger. Their teasing session continued till evening, until they realised that lakshmana needs rest now. The last one to leave the chamber was Vrushali. " Maa " Lakshmana called her lovingly. Vrushali immediately whirled and hugged lakshmana, showering her with tears, even lakshmana couldn't supress her waterfall of tears now. The tears of them both mingled into each other. After a small session of crying, they separated from their hug, vrushali left for her work, their hands parted.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bhargavi was keeping lakshmana's dress and ornaments ready for the next day. Lakshmana was standing in the little balcony gazing the preparations the common people had made for her swayamvar. She smiled to herself and considered herself blessed for the love everyone was showering on her. " Ravi... I am going to meet pitashree " She hurried, but was stopped by uttara, who was coming to meet her.

" Lakshmana, you shouldn't roam like this in the palace now, palace is filled with your suitors. Cover your face with a veil and then go outside " Though hesitant a first, but then lakshmana covered her face and went to meet duryodhan. She ran through the corridor in her usual way, running through the steps. She stopped a few feet before duryodhan's chamber and the voice she heard, displeased her. " Would kakashree dusshasan spoil my meet with my pitashree, just a day before my swayamvar, telling me to not practice weapons and be in the limit of weapons " She spoke to herself and frowned.

She was about to leave, but what she heard ,created curiosity in her to listen further . " Jyeshtha, why have you invited the princes of dwarka, are you planning to get lakshmana wedded to any one of them " Dusshasan was asking duryodhan.
" Why does he have to poke his nose in between, it's my swayamvar, I may choose anyone " She complained to herself. " Dusshasan, I've sent the invitation to dwarka, just not to displease my guru. And I am sure, mani won't choose the prince of dwarka, she knows that her father and that krishna are rivals. And even if she chooses him, I won't let that marriage happen " Duryodhan's eyes showed anger.

Lakshmana, who was hearing all this, eavesdropping was dumbstruck. Her heart was pondering continuously and her legs were losing balance.
" Yess, jyeshtha a daughter should listen to her father " Dusshasan smirked, giving pressure on the word, should. " No shassan, it's not because if that, if she marries the prince of dwarka, that krishna won't behave properly with her, what if he treats my daughter badly, owing to our rivalry " Duryodhan clutched his fists.

Lakshmana was on the verge of crying, but she held back her tears. Her hand hit a flower vase and it broke down with a thud. Duryodhan and dusshasan were alerted, they removed their daggers and ran towards the door if the chamber. They both came out running and held their daggers. Confused by the situation, lakshmana also removed her dagger, that was near her waist and held it in front of them.