Chapter 53

The queen of sindhu stood staring at the pitch black sky, as dark as her now life. Her eyes we're dry, her face emotionless and she was draped in pale yellow clothes, indicating that she has to spend a dry life now, without any kind on bliss. Her eyes scanned the surrounding, this was the same place where her pitamah would tell her stories and her brothers would play with her, her favourite balcony.

Her mind went back to the days, when she was a princess, just a princess! No responsibilities and no restrictions, she would roam like a free bird, her giggles would run through the palace. She was the most feared Royal, as a single tear drop in her eyes and her protective brothers would not let go that person. She was kind, bubbly, beautiful, brave and free from restrictions.

Only till she was thrown in shackles of obsession of the king of sindhu. They both were attracted to each other, when she first met him, little did she know, this attraction to turn into a life time punishment for her. Jayadrath somehow convinced suyodhan that he would take care of his dear sister, love her and make her his chief queen. These fake promises lasted only till few months, he brought another wife just a year after their marriage.

After this she was continuously shunned and warned that if he reveals about the tortures to her natal home, the punishment would be severe. She always kept quiet and plastered a fake smile on her face, how long she wished that her mother would see her pain, but the cloth on gandhari's eyes, always left her disheartened. Now, she stood here her husband, son, brothers, nephews dead.

Her mind went numb, she wished to go away from all troubles and problems. She wished to meet her son, her husband and her dead brothers and there was only one way to meet them . Without her own notice she climbed the stool on which she was sitting. Her gaze still fixed on the moon, she kept one of her foot on the railing of the balcony and was about to keep the second one too, when someone grabbed her wrists and pulled her down, on the floor.

" What we're you going to do buashree " Samb shook her shoulders and almost shout, bringing dushala back to her senses. Her eyes wander around as she recollected, what she was going to do. Lakshmana, gandhari and chandramukhi came there running as they heard Samb's shout.
Dushala hugged Gandhari, crying for the first time in whole day, " I am a widow now maa, sindhuraaj is dead, my son is dead maa, I don't want to live " She let out everything that she had been holding inside herself.

Gandhari felt miserable, her daughter, whom she had pampered from childhood is crying in her arms and was about to commit suicide, how much more should a mother suffer! She embraced trembling dushala, not knowing how to comfort her. Her ever smiling chirpy daughter who would win anyone's heart, is a widow wearing plain robes and lifeless. " Did the thought of your putra vadhu cross your mind for once jiji? " Chandra's voice gained everyone's attention.

Lakshmana was about to say something, but chandra gestured her to stop, " For once did you think, how this young girl, who is barely 25 years of her age, having a child of three months and a widow, how would she manage everything without you? " . Dushala lowered her gaze, she knew what she was going to do was wrong,
Gandhari felt amazed hearing this, for the first time it felt like chandra was her second eldest and now eldest putra vadhu, as if she had understood her responsibilities.

" Have you thought, what would happen to your mother? How miserable would she be feeling right now? Your grandson? Us? Your niece, tell jiji? " Chandra was speaking firmly, her eyes brimming with tears.
Dushala then embraced chandra mumbling sorries continuously, chandra patting her back, comforting her. After comforting, chandra took dushala to her chamber and lakshmana went back to Indumati's chamber.
************************************
Lakshmana turned towards Indumati who was laying besides her, she was down with fever since afternoon. A pale smile crept on lakshmana's face, these women are really very strong, how could they live knowing that their husband won't be on their side after this. ' bless them pitashree ' she prayed mentally as face of her father - in - law flashed in front of her eyes. Groan of Indumati gained her attention, lakshmana changed the cloth soaked in cold water.

Lakshmana wiped her tears and hurried towards suvarnadhika's chamber, worrying what would be she doing. She sighed as suvarna rocking her son to sleep. Lakshmana went to her placing hand on her shoulder. Suvarna turned, her face red and tears not stopping from her eyes, " Bhabhi! " Lakshmana exclaimed, but suvarna gestured her to stay quiet as her son was sleeping.

" I don't need anyone's sympathy! And definitely not from the one, whose father is responsible for all this " Suvarna gave a cold glare towards lakshmana. " What are you saying bhabhi, I came here because I was.. " Before she could complete, suvarna showed her palm. " You kauravas think we widows would forgive and forget that you all are the reason for our such conditions? For the death of our husband ? Stop showing your fake sympathy " Suvarna continued.

A strong reply threatened to slip out of lakshmana's tongue, but she curled her fists to control herself. It wasn't complete false that her family was also responsible for suvarna being a widow, without her being at fault.
" Take care bhab... " Lakshmana tried to speak but was again shunned by suvarna, " I said stop showing this fake sympathy! I am strong enough to handle myself as well as my son, tell your sinner father to take care of himself now, because laments of a widow never go in vain " The last sentence shook lakshmana to core,
" Bhabhi, I am respecting our relation and hence I am quiet, but please don't dare to call my father names, firstly he is elder than you and secondly your father- in - law was no less, I won't tolerate my fathers insult, however he may be, please remember this " She said and walked out of them chamber.

She wished to hug her father, but alas it was not possible. Her legs pulled her towards karna's chamber as she craved for mother's hug. Tears falling from her eyes and she hurried towards the chamber, " Maa " She called gaining snigdha's attention.
" Yes banasen " Was vrushali's reply as she was engaged in some work, she realised her mistake and wiped tears with the end of her cotton veil and turned around.

Lakshmana wrapped her arms around vrushali tightly. " I want to sleep with you maa " Lakshmana mumbled and laid on the bed, vrushali caressing her hair and patting her slowly till sleep took her in her arms.
************************************
Hey, my lovely readers, the next part is here!
I may finish this book around geeta jayanti, ( beginning of kurukshetra war) and sequel of this book may start around new year. But still only if my college assignments and tests co- operate🤞.
My heart breaks thinking about dushala , gandhari and lakshmana's pain, do tell in comments what you feel about them.