CHAPTER 17 - Captain of the royal guard

Thranduil steps aside, and a tall man in a palace uniform steps forward.

Haldir: Maybe I can be of some assistance my lady.

Your face lights up when you realize who the soldier infront of you is.

You: Haldir...? Is that really you?

Haldir: Yes your majesty. It is good to see you again.

You get so excited that you throw your harm around Haldir, hugging him. Haldir tries to keep appearances infront of his king, and does not move a muscle.

Thranduil: Oh come on captain, lighten up! I need you to escort the princess for the moment, while I talk to lord Elrond.

Haldir: As you wish my king!

Haldir offers you his arm, and you start to walk toward the other end of the banquet hall. In the meantime Thranduil takes you father to a separate room to talk.

You: I still cant belive that it is really you Haldir. You look so different. So tall and...serious.

Haldir: Well I am captain of the royal guard now. I have to keep up appearances. Besides... this serious face keeps away unwanted attention. And thats why im here right?

You laugh a little, and even Haldir cant help but smile back.

Haldir: To be honest. When the king told me I would be looking after you tonight I was really glad. I have truly missed you princess. Now... where is this Vincent guy that I have to kill.

You: Haha... I will be sure to point him out if I see him. Lets just enjoy eachothers company for now.

You just keep walking around, talking about the old days. Haldir is really easy to talk to, and he is so kind. He is really tall, even for an elf. And his strong build makes him stand out. So you do notice the looks that you are getting from those around you. No one wants to make this guy angry. But you only see him as a friendly giant.

After a while you move to another room where there are no other guests. All the noise from the banquet hall has given you a slight headache, so Haldir does to get you a drink.