Chapter 23

"So, Jeremiah what do you plan on doing after high school?", Dre asked.

"I actually wanna play college ball and hopefully go to the pros", Jeremiah said.

"You play basketball too?", Dre asked.

"Well Yea I play basketball too but I was talking about football", Jeremiah replied.

"You think you that good?", Dre asked.

"I have seven different colleges that want to recruit me so I guess you can say that", Jeremiah said.

Aaliyah smiled and nudged Adrienne arm.

"You go girl", Aaliyah whispered.

Adrienne smiled and shook her head.

"We aren't even dating yet", Adrienne said.

"Good. Football players be the main ones cheating", Dre said.

"Me personally, if I got something good I wouldn't wanna sacrifice that", Jeremiah said.

"What you know about a good woman?", Dre asked. "Hell how do you know if Adrienne is?"

"A good woman fits my expectations. Just like a good man fits a woman's expectations. I don't know if Adrienne does, just like she doesn't know if I fit hers. That's why I would like to get to know her", Jeremiah said.

Dre sat back in the chair and starred at him.

"You keep trying to find something wrong with him but if you haven't found it already then...", Aaliyah said.

"The truth about a person isn't always in plain sight. It unfolds slowly but surely", Dre said.

"That's deep", Adrienne said sarcastically.

"Haha very funny. But...as far as right now. I don't mind you talking to my daughter if she wants that. No sex", Dre said.

"Dad!", Adrienne said.

"I'm just saying", Dre said.

Adrienne shook her head. "You're so embarrassing"

Dre looked at his phone and Aaliyah looked at it from the corner of her eyes.

"I gotta take this", Dre said as he got up and walked away to answer the phone.

Aaliyah watched him.

"I'm going to the bathroom", Jeremiah said as he got up and walked away.

"Mom?", Adrienne said.

Aaliyah looked at her.

"How do you know Jeremiah's dad?", Adrienne asked.

"Well I see the boy isn't a lair", Aaliyah said.

"Well I'm guessing you kind of are", Adrienne said. "Are you cheating on dad?"

"No", Aaliyah replied. "Don't say that again"

"Then what were you doing with his dad?", Adrienne said.

"That is my business. Just know I was not and would never cheat on your dad", Aaliyah said.

Adrienne looked at her for a moment.

"What?", Aaliyah asked.

"Nothing", Adrienne said as she looked away.

Dre walked back to the table.

"Damn, he left already?", Dre asked.

"He went to the bathroom", Aaliyah said.