Chapter 59

The following day, Dre woke up and Aaliyah was sitting outside on the balcony. Before going out there with her, he used the restroom.

When Dre walk out onto the balcony he realized that Aaliyah was asleep and had just woken up once she heard the door open.

"You didn't sleep last night or something?", Dre asked.

"Yea", Aaliyah replied.

"Well I felt you get out of bed last night. I don't remember you getting back in", Dre said as he sat in one of the chairs. "What have you been doing?"

Aaliyah didn't say anything.

Dre sat back and looked at the sun rising.

"Talk", he said.

Aaliyah looked at him.

"Adrienne almost got kidnapped last night", Aaliyah said.

"What?", Dre asked. "Why in the fuck you ain't wake me up?"

"Because she's fine. They didn't even touch her. I told them to stay together and don't be out late", Aaliyah said.

"Shit never stops", Dre said.

Aaliyah stopped looking at Dre.

"I knew I shouldn't have had anymore kids after Andre", Dre said.

Aaliyah looked at him again.

"...When you got pregnant the first time, I was scared all over again. It was somebody else for me to protect and keep away from my personal life. You had the miscarriage and yea I felt bad about it...but at the same time I was relieved", Dre said.

"...but yet you looked at me like I was crazy", Aaliyah said.

Dre sighed.

"I just didn't want my kids to be the result of the bad things I've done....Andre for example", Dre said. "I'm not a fit parent and that and what happened to Andrea proved it"

"You can't control other people actions. What happened to them isn't your fault", Aaliyah said.

"It is my fault", Dre said.

"It isn't", Aaliyah repeated.

Dre stood up.

"It is! My son died right in front of me and makes me just want to end my own life every fucking day...but I can't. I can't because I gotta stay strong for my kids and you", Dre said.

A tear fell from Aaliyah's eye. She didn't know he felt that way.

"My daughter got raped only God knows how many times...my baby girl...all because I wasn't fast enough to save her", Dre said as he sat down.

Aaliyah wiped her tears.

"But it's probably something I should do...maybe you guys can finally be at peace", Dre said.

"Do what?", Aaliyah asked.

"Kill myself", Dre said.

Aaliyah shook her head.

"No. No, stop talking like that", she replied.

Dre didn't reply to her.

"...I'm not perfect either", Aaliyah said. "Nobody is...but it's not your fault of what happened to them"

Dre looked at Aaliyah.

"It's nobody's fault but the person who did it to them", Aaliyah said.

Dre look at Aaliyah.

"Come here", he said.

Aaliyah got up and sat on his lap and Dre held her close to him.

"My life ain't never going to change no matter how hard I try. I guess I gotta accept that", Dre said. "...but my question is...do you feel the same"

"...yea", Aaliyah said.

"...what if I said I wanted to go back to the way things before", Dre said.

"What do you mean?", Aaliyah asked.

"I mean when I had power...things were okay for me. Everybody was safe because they knew not to play with me unless they were on my level or just plain dumb"

"You saying you wanna go back on the streets and do what you were doing when I met you?", Aaliyah asked.

"Yea...back to Atlanta", Dre said.

Aaliyah stood up and massaged her temples.

"You wanted to come here for peace and now you wanna go back to where we started?", Aaliyah asked.

"Yea. I was making more money and you know you love money", Dre said. "And honestly I can control it from a distance"

"That's besides the point", Aaliyah said.

Dre rolled his eyes as he looked away.

"You think you can just jump back into the game? It's been over a decade", Aaliyah said.

Dre looked down.

"Right?", Aaliyah asked.

"...these past few years I haven't been going to New York to work with Killa to do work for him. I mean like sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. I've been going to ATL...starting my hustle again. That's why I still have eyes and ears around there. That's how I knew you went to talk to D Patt", Dre said.

Aaliyah made a face.

"And you didn't tell me?", she asked.

"No. I didn't need you worrying and the business isn't enough", Dre said.

"It is enough", Aaliyah said.

"Not for me", Dre said.

"I get it, you're tired of not buying the best of the best. But you should've told me about this!", Aaliyah said.

"I'm telling you now", Dre said. "Look I go by a new name and all. I'm not out in the open and I stay behind the scenes"

Aaliyah rolled her eyes and walked back into the house.

———

"Ever since last night, you've been duckin and dodging me. What's up? Did I do something?", BJ asked.

"..no", Andrea replied.

"What's going on? I thought we were having a good time", BJ said.

"We were but...I don't think this is going to work alright. It's not you, it's me", Andrea said.

BJ made a face.

"I just can't do whatever this is with you and I'm sorry", Andrea said before she walked away from him.

BJ just stood there. He was confused.

Andrea hated the fact that she was doing this because she was having a good time with him but she had to much baggage. Baggage she didn't want to put on him.

TO BE CONTINUED....