Chapter 31

While Dre was holding Aaliyah, he noticed that her ring wasn't on her finger.

Aaliyah suddenly opened her eyes and gasped for air.

Dre's eyes got wide.

Aaliyah felt her stomach and lifted her shirt up to look at her stomach. It was a scar there but it was stitched up.

Kevin walked into the house.

"Aaliyah?", Kevin said.

"Oh my god. The twins", Aaliyah said.

"The twins are fine. They are on their way to Carmen's", Dre said.

Aaliyah touched Dre's cheek.

"You're okay", she said as she started tearing up.

"You're okay", Dre said. "We thought you were dead"

"No", Aaliyah said as she got up.

"Well that's a relief", Kevin said.

Aaliyah looked at Kevin then at Dre.

"So you guys seem to be hanging out more", Aaliyah said.

Dre stood up and ignored that comment.

"What happened to your stomach?", Dre asked.

"I just remember him stabbing me and me passing out...then I woke up here", Aaliyah said.

Dre made a face.

"Something don't sound right. Why would they not just let you die?", Dre asked.

Aaliyah shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't..I don't know", Aaliyah said.

Dre started to think to himself as he looked at her stomach.

Aaliyah looked at Kevin and he was scratching the back of his head and suddenly he stopped.

"All that matters is she's alive and she could probably tell us, where they are", Kevin said.

Dre looked at Kevin.

"That's true", Dre said. "I need to go upstairs real quick. Can I trust y'all alone?"

Aaliyah rolled her eyes.

Dre walked upstairs.

Aaliyah looked at Kevin.

"You know them don't you?", Aaliyah asked.

"What?", Kevin asked.

"...they were going to let me die, Kev. As I was passing out I heard him on the phone...sounded like someone was telling him not to kill me because after he got off of the phone he said that I was lucky. After that I passed out", Aaliyah said.

"I don't know what your talking about", Kevin said.

"Tell the truth", Aaliyah said.

"I didn't call anyone", Kevin said.

"Tell the truth so I can say thank you", Aaliyah said. "I'm far from mad at you"

"...you're welcome", Kevin said.

Aaliyah looked at the stairs to see if Dre was coming then back at Kevin.

"So why can't you do the same for Dre?", Aaliyah asked.

"I didn't get a chance but it doesn't matter because he killed King. They'll do it regards. They don't have any loyalty to me. I just know them by association. King's dad...but it looks like Dre killed him too", Kevin said.

Aaliyah looked at him for a moment.

"...what?", Kevin asked.

Aaliyah shook her head

"Nothing", she replied.

Dre came downstairs.

"Dre, how about we go to New York?", Aaliyah asked. "That way the both of us can be safe and not only that but you and I both can keep our kids safe"

Dre didn't say anything.

"Dre?", Aaliyah said.

"Look Liyah, I don't wanna argue right now. You already know the drill, I want you as safe as possible so you go to New York. I'll stay here and handle things", Dre said.

"Usually I have some type of faith in what you do but this time is different", Aaliyah said.

"How is it different, Liyah? It's nothing different from what I do with Killa", Dre said.

"Yes and I hate that too!", Aaliyah shouted.

Dre clenched his jaw as he looked down.

"Kevin can we get a minute?", Dre asked.

"Yea...I'll just go back outside and tell Killa the news", Kevin said as he walked outside and shut the door behind him.

"You wanna do that in front of him?", Dre asked calmly.

"Dre, I'm sorry but I'm not...", Aaliyah stopped talking and massaged her temples.

"You're not what?", Dre asked.

Aaliyah sighed.

"I love you and you make me happy Dre but things have not changed like I thought they would", Aaliyah said.

"What you tryna say Liyah?", Dre asked.

"I'm saying that I'm not with having to look over my shoulder at every moment of the day and worrying about my kids and hoping that someone from New York doesn't track you down and come for you, me, or them", Aaliyah said.

"You know the only way out of that life Liyah", Dre said.

"Death. I know", Aaliyah said.

"So what do you want me to do?", Dre asked.

Aaliyah was quiet.

"Or better question...what do you want to do?", he asked.

"I don't know", Aaliyah said softly.

Dre didn't say anything. He just looked to the side.

Aaliyah started tearing up and then she wiped her tears.

"Are you going through one of your depression stages or is this coming from you?", Dre asked.

"... both", Aaliyah replied.

Dre nods.

"...we'll discuss this later. Just go pack", Dre said.

"Dre, I-"

"Nah. We'll talk later. Just go pack so I can take you to the airport", Dre said.

"...alright", she said quietly before she walked toward the stairs.

Dre watched her and looked at how she didn't have her ring on. He didn't say anything at the moment though. He just hoped it was because one of the guys stole it.

TO BE CONTINUED...