74

Metal skittered across the floor. I stared at the wall, at the scalpel resting against its base. My eyes stayed trained on it as Father's hands locked around my wrists, and as he pulled me to his chest. Then I started to cry. My arms pulled against his, a test of strength, of desperation on both sides. Father attempted to hush me, tugging me closer. 

"Sh, it is okay. You are safe," he said.

"Let me die." The blade was right there. I had it in my hands. I was so close to ending this. So close to ripping free of this dream. There was no way of telling what they were doing to Percy. No way to tell if everyday I stayed in this they increased the punishment on her. It had happened before. I needed to be the one to do it. I needed to be able to protect her.

"No."

I sobbed, continuing my struggle. "Please."

Burning pain darted through my gills as Father moved an arm to rest around my shoulders. I cried. It hurt. Ithurtithurtithurt. My hand, the one he had freed to to wrap his arm around me, grabbed the side of my neck, trying to pull off the bandages. When had they wrapped them? When? 

"No." His fingers dug into my palm. "My son- Kaldur, please." Father's voice wavered, breaking as he pleaded. "Listen to me. Please. You are safe. You are not there. Please. Come on, please. Let go of your neck.

"I want this to be over with!"

"I know. I know you do. But I need you to let go, okay?" Finger by finger, Father pried my hand free. I struggled against his grip, but it was solid. Panic settled back in my gut. "Take a deep breath for me." He pulled my hand towards his chest and took an exaggerated breath. I shook my head, still trying to escape.  His grip around my wrist tightened. He pressed his head against mine. "Come on now, deep breath for me."

My panic did not cease and with it my lunges became ever so more desperate. Thoughts ricocheted off of each other, instincts begged for me to barricade myself in the corner. None of this was right. He should not be bothering with me. Father stood, coaxing me up with him. My fingers dug into the flesh of my arms.

"No, Kaldur. No. Let go of your arms, okay?" 

I shook my head, tightening my grip. Father made a worried sound and eased me onto the bed I had awoken in. He turned his back and in a second I was up again. With practiced silence I walked to the fallen-

I kicked and flailed as I was pulled back to the bed. Father forced me down onto it despite my resistance. The stiff mattress gave under my weight, blankets stained with speckles and spots of blood. He gritted his teeth and pinned my arms down, one under his leg the other by his hands. 

"I did not want to have to do this," he muttered. He forced my arm up towards my head, grip tightening hard. My other arm was forced towards the railing at my hip, that same tight grip on it. As he moved away, and as the pressure did not lessen, I- My arms jerked. Leather bit into my skin, stopping any movement in its tracks. I pulled against the cuffs. No. No. Not again. My breathing turned to great, gasping breaths . Tears slipped down my face as words left my mouth in a tangled mess. Heat licked at my skin burning pain around the restraints on my arms. My teeth came down hard, flooding my mouth with the taste of copper. Cool cloth pressed against my cheek and my frantic eyes settled on Father. A frown on his lips he brushed the cloth against my other cheek. The stark contrast to the heat allowed a whine to slip out. Father paused. And then he laid another rag over my forehead before wiping my mouth. The white rag came away red. Slowly, the last of my adrenaline ebbed away. The lack of energy sent my eyelids fluttering closed; a shuddering breath left my body.

"I'm sorry, my son," whispered Father. He brushed his hand over my hair. "I will be right here, okay?" I said nothing, did not bother to grace him with a response. The silence between us wore on. The ticking of the clock grated on my ears. Just as I thought he would not, he sighed. "Kaldur?"

"..."

The chair beside me creaked. "I need you to do something for me, okay?" The cloth on my forehead moved. I cracked open my eyes. Father stared at me, unshed tears shining in his eyes. . "Talk to us," he said. "Talk to someone. Me, your mother, our king, anyone. I don't care who, just please, talk to somebody."  He wiped his eyes with his sleeve. "You- You need help. And yet try as we might, you will not allow us to help you."

I slid my gaze to the ceiling. My eyes burned from the harsh lights. His words weighed heavy on my chest. They tamped down the words I wanted to say. Despite the desperate voice in my mind telling me to not, I forced them past my lips and into the air. "The one thing that will help is the one thing you refuse-"

"I am not letting you kill yourself!" 

Welp, hope you enjoyed this chapter

Personally, I would blame Fire for the angst. There's no real reason too, aside from the fact she was complicit in the crafting of this chapter. 

I need to go do some homework until like 9, so

See yah