67

"Percy?" Garth peeked his head inside my door. I tensed and stared at him. "Tula needed to return home to assist the queen, so I am to accompany you today."

He stepped inside and sat on the floor, making no move to come closer. I kept my guard up, prepared for him to attack. He never did, choosing instead to sprawl out. He kept his hands within my sight, something I was grateful for.

"You look nice in surfacer clothes," he said. "Much more at ease in them than Tula and I."

I've been wearing them for years.

"Did you know that the Conservatory is adding classes for tide redirection? It would be a handy skill to have, but not even the queen can do it reliably and not without great effort."

I swallowed. I can do it with a thought.

As time went on, Garth kept talking, and it didn't take long for me to realize he wasn't looking for a reply or any input from me. I appreciated it. Even though my mind screamed that I couldn't trust him, I enjoyed not sitting in silence like I normally would with Tula. I sighed and slipped off of my bed. Garth broke off in the middle of a sentence as I sat beside him, only to pick back up where he left off. 

"Garth?" I asked.

"Hm?"

"Do you mind if I-"

"Come here," he said, sitting up and opening his arms. I leaned into the embrace, pressing my head against his shoulder. With his heartbeat a steady, calming rhythm, Garth rested his head against mine. "You are warm."

I laughed. "You- You seem much warmer to me."

"Do you wish to stay like this all day? Or do you wish to do something else?"

"For the moment, I would prefer this, if that is okay with you?"

He hummed in acceptance and continued to hold me close, his fingers tapping against my back. Soft words hit my ears, and I realized he was singing. I snorted and he flicked my head, likely forgetting what I had been through based on how he tensed up immediately after. Garth opened his mouth, apologies on the tip of his tongue, but I shook my head. 

"It is fine," I said. "You meant no harm."

"As much as I enjoy you allowing me close to you, can we move? The floor is not the most comfortable place to sit for an extended time, especially on the surface."

I nodded and stood up; Garth followed my example. My hand grasped his, fingers locking together as they would undersea, a gesture given romantic significance on the surface its main purpose underseas was to prevent on from being carried off by a current. Pulling him out of the Cave should have been a simple matter, but one mad all the more complicated by the way the others treated me. Despite everything I have been put through, I am capable of defending myself.

So it was only after ten minutes of convincing Megan to allow us outside and multiple promises from Garth to protect me and several glares from Kaldur, that we found ourselves on the beach. The sea breeze wrapped around me lifting my hair and my spirits despite my aversion to my natural element. Warm sand underfoot, I ran towards the shoreline. Curse words flowed from behind me and then  in front of me as Garth sprinted past, desperate for the relief of the water.

"How are you not affected by that?" He looked back at me, feet safely on the water cooled sand. "I would not be surprised if my feet are burnt."

I shrugged, pretending I didn't know why. I have fire resistance as a result of being a child of Poseidon, and it would probably be greater had I not been born to an Atlantean. Perhaps if Aunt Sally was-

"Shit," I said, as I ran a hand through my hair. "Garth? Do you know where a Zeta Tube is located in the town?"

"Yes, but why do you wish to know?"

"I was taught on the surface for a time and a surface dweller offered to let me stay with her. I am still close with her, despite having not attended surface schooling since I was thirteen. She is probably worried about me. Mother would most likely allow me to visit, but since our king has said I am not to leave the area."

"Are you sure she is trustworthy? I do not doubt your skills my friend, but you must admit in your state it may be hard to defend yourself."

My skin icons glowed and water shot towards him. He attempted to counter, only for the liquid serpent to slip behind his defenses and encase him. "I am capable."

"I am a friend, not a foe."

"That is what I thought of Kaldur as well," I mumbled. Garth did not hear me, at least not clearly. "Will you assist me or will I need to do this on my own?"

"How much trouble do you think I will get in if I help you?" He pulled his hair up into his signature ponytail.

"Less than if I leave on my own and perish." I smiled at him, though it did not reach my eyes. I pulled my hair into a ponytail. "Now we match." My laugh was equally forced. This time Garth caught on.

His shoulders fell and he rested a hand on my shoulder, dropping it when I flinched away. "Do you feel as though you need to do this?" I nodded and he sighed. "Then I will help you in whatever way I can. Your mother might never make kelp cakes for me again if anything were to happen to you."

"So you are more scared of that than the repercussions for treason?" I asked. Garth and I walked side by side as we headed through the city. A few people cast odd glances our way, but it would be safe to assume those were because of my jacket.

"A life without your mother's cooking is not one worth living."

"Wait until you try Aunt Sally's cookies."

1000 words on the nose

On my discord, I'm starting game nights. Tonight is bracket night which is gonna be fun

for me at least, I love arguing. Here's a link to the server and channel https://discord.gg/PT6TXKW

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT DO NOT IGNORE

Wattpad has experienced a data breach and you'd think they'd announce this in a way everyone will see it like sending a message to everyones inbox or something. So just be on the safe side and change your password as I did for both my accounts

That's all

See yah