57

"Kaldur'ahm, I am not going to harm you." I reached towards my protege, only for him to flinch. He pressed himself further into the corner and squeezed his eyes shut.

I looked towards Percy. She laid on her cot, staring into space. I sighed and put the tray of food I was holding on the floor. "I will leave this here, please eat. And please get Percy to eat."

Kaldur

I waited until the cell door closed to open my eyes. My stomach growled and I whimpered, gaze fixating on the food.

I don't want to eat it. I know what will happen. But I know what will happen if I refuse to eat.

Taking a deep breath and steeling myself, I left the corner, crawling towards Percy. The moment I neared her, she flinched. I hate that I know why and I hate that I know she's justified.

I slid my arms beneath her. I lifted her and carried her to my corner, ignoring the strain on my body and the pain it caused me.

Sitting down, I propped her against me and took food from the tray. I held it to her lips. When she did not eat, when she showed no sign of response, I started crying. The warm tears slid down my face and ugly sobs tore from my body.

Her hand was cold in mine, and, as our skin icons glowed, suffocating hopelessness overwhelmed me.

I released her and stared at my shaking hands. Blood coated them. I blinked and it was gone. Percy had not moved and stared into space again.

I took a hesitant bite of bread. My eyes widened slightly. The food tastes different, better. I took another bite.

I devoured the remaining food, saving for some I saved for Percy. I left the tray by her before moving to where she had been laying. I sat down and rubbed the back of my neck. I hissed in pain from the pain coming from my gills. My throat went dry. The only reason they would hurt is if they were injured.

I have no recollection of receiving an injury to them, but...I cannot remember much as it is.

I wiped my eyes, trying to keep calm, though I ultimately failed. With my gills being damaged, I may never be able to return home even if we are rescued.

The door to the cell flew open and I retreated into the corner, head tucked to my knees.

"Kaldur?" A familar voice asked. I slowly lifted my head to find myself staring at Megan. "You're okay. Come on, let's get you out of here."

I grabbed her wrist and stared at her. I have no way of telling if this is truly my teammate or another illusion.

You're going to be alright. Just fall asleep and everything will be okay.

My eyes closed and I was vaguely aware of falling into her warm arms.

When I awoke, I found myself staring at the bare ceiling of the Cave's infirmary. I turned my head slightly and noticed my king dozing in a chair.

A small smile forced its way onto my lips. I looked at the ceiling again, listening to the steady beeping of the heart monitor.

"Kaldur'ahm?"

I looked at my king.

He stared at me. "Do you know who I am?"

I nodded. He smiled and reached a hand towards me. I resisted my urge to flinch, letting him grab my hand.

We did not speak, but the silence was anything but awkward. He did not ask any questions and I provided no answers, we simply sat there. At one point, he sighed and kissed my forehead. "I am happy you are safe."

He sat with me for quite some time, leaving temporarily when my teammates entered the room.

Robin practically jumped onto the bed, narrowly missing me. He wrapped an arm around me. Despite the pain, I melted into his embrace, soaking up the affection. All too soon he pulled away.

Artemis ran her fingers through my hair. "Rest now. You need to save your energy."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed her hand. "Can you call?"

"Call who?"

I held up a finger, signaled for her to wait as I swallowed and got back to where I could speak. "Garth and my friends?"

"Sure. Now seriously dude, you need to rest. You look like crap." Wally stumbled backwards. "Okay, that was uncalled for." He glared at the others.

Artemis smacked him.

I chuckled, but that turned into a coughing fit. Connor gently held me to the bed so I did not exhaust myself.

"I can get you something to eat if you want." Megan offered. "Like bread or pudding or something like that."

I shook my head.

"Are you going to be okay by yourself or do you want us to get Aquaman?"

I shrugged in a manner I hoped conveyed that I do not care. This is easier than talking at the moment.

"Hello Megan." Megan hit her head. Is this easier?

Yes. And I do not care if I am left alone or not. Actually, I wish to speak to him about something.

Okay, I'll go get him.

The Team left, leaving me with my empty thought until my king walked in. He did not sit.

"I am guessing you know about your gills."

"How bad?" I managed.

I could tell he did not want to answer me. I stared at him until he began speaking.

"Unless the gods take mercy, I doubt you will ever be able to return to Atlantis."

.......

"Kaldur?"

......

"My son, please say something."

Welp

I need to go get a bath soon and then maybe draw and work on Death's Apprentice because I am a horrible person at actually doing things I said I was going to do.

Oh and I need to finish my scarf too

Anywho

How'd you like this chapter?

I think it turned out decent despite me rewriting it a lot

See yah