54

I knew it was going to be bad when I felt the familar shackles digging into my wrists.

I opened my eyes and lifted my head.

"Percy, are you okay?" Kaldur asked.

"Yeah, I'm just fine. Not like we're shackled or anything."

"Please stop with the sass. I know it is a defensive measure but now is not the time. Do you know anyway to get out of these?"

"If they are like the ones I was previously held in, neither of us will be able to break free."

"These are even better than those old things."

My eyes widened and I looked towards the cell door. Flames illuminated the room and the room brightened further when Kelly lit the torches lining the wall.

"What are you going to do to us?" I asked, every muscle in my body tensing. At least she's not Chrysaor.

"Oh, I'm not going to do anything to you just yet. I'm much more interested in your friend here. After all, you said he doesn't understand what you went through. I think I'm going to change that."

She walked towards Kaldur and pressed her hand against his chest. The smell of burning fabric filled the air. Kaldur thrashed, trying to get away from the fire now directly against his skin.

"Leave him alone!" I yelled, struggling against the chains.

Kelly stepped away from him, the fire disappearing from her palm. Kaldur collapsed against his chains. Sweat poured down his face.

"Or what? Those chains suppress your powers and you can't break them." Her grin widened. Fire flared up in her hand. She tossed the fireball at Kaldur. It took to his clothes and he screamed in pain.

"Kaldur!"

"You'll have your turn soon enough." Kelly giggled before walking out of the cell.

I tried to control whatever moisture there might have been in the hot, dry air of the cell but no matter how hard I tried, I could not access any part of my power.

Kaldur's screams cut off and he hung limp. Tears began rolling down my face and I renewed my struggle.

Cracking came from above me and I looked up. The rock the chains were bolted into was giving way. I wrapped the chains around my hands and pulled. There was more cracking.

The cell door opened before I could free myself. A dracaena slithered over. She grabbed my arm and pulled it.

A cry left my lips as she pulled it out of its socket.

She undid the cuffs, but I couldn't find it in me to fight against her as she continued to pull on my arm.

She dragged me out and down the hallway, my skin scraping against the rough stone floor.

Another monster lifted my feet and helped throw me. I hit the ground hard, my head slamming against the rock.

"I told you we'd make you regret escaping." Kelly wheeled a cart in. Though everything was swimming, I could make out familiar weapons hanging off of it.

I tried my best to get up, only to discover my other arm had been dislocated.

This is bad. So very bad. There's no one to save me...to save Kaldur...

And if I don't...And if I don't follow the mandate this time, there will be no pardon.

Taking a deep breath, I forced myself to my feet.

"Oh, this will be so much more fun since you're on your feet." Before I knew what was happening, Kelly was on me. I had no way to defend myself from her assault, my arms were useless and I could barely keep myself from falling.

Her claws tore into my flesh and my blood splashed onto the floor.

At the end, I was left lying in a pool of my own blood. I had no strength to so much as lift a finger.

In the corner of my eye, torchlight shone onto something metal. A shattered piece of blade from the cart.

If I can't figure out a way to escape, I'll have to do it. I'll have to kill myself to save Kaldur.

Kaldur

I panted, my body trying to do what it could to lower my body temperature. It didn't help much. The room was hot, incredibly hot.

The skin on my wrists and ankles was beginning to blister and burn. I stood on my toes and tried to keep my skin from touching the scorching metal.

Cold air rushed in and I sighed as it hit me.

The monster from before walked in, blood dripping from her claws. As my eyes locked on her, she licked the blood from her fingers.

"Mm. Her blood tastes so good."

"What did you do to her?" I mumbled.

"Nothing that I can't do to you sweetheart." She purred and lifted my chin so I was looking her in the eyes. "And nothing you can't do to her, if you want to please me."

"Go to Hades." I growled.

There was a stinging pain on my cheek and the next thing I knew, she was licking my blood from her fingers.

"I think you'll change your tone pretty fast."

"And why is that?"

"Well I'm going to give you a choice. Either you can take some of the Sea Spawn's punishment or she'll take some of yours."

"Why are you offering me this?"

The monster laughed. "I have my reasons. Now pick. You or her."

I swallowed and clenched my hands. I don't have a choice. Not really. Not that having a choice would change my answer.

I stared her in her eyes. "I'll take hers."

How'd you like it?

Next week are finals

Yay

Now if you excuse me...

I'm going to eat cherry cheesecake

See yah