87

I swallowed, snuck through the dim halls of the Cave--darkened even further by my sunglasses-- and paused a few doors down from Kaldur's. Calvin leaned against the walls. His eyes were closed, the only thing keeping him from noticing me, and a small smile rested on his lips. A small sliver of light seeped out of Kaldur's room accompanied by Dinah's voice. Too soft for me to make out, but clear enough to know it wasn't anything serious. 

She'd have closed the door completely. 

I opened Connor's door and slipped inside, leaving the door open a sliver, just enough to see out. Breathing soft, even, and silent, I waited. Patience bears rewards, I could hear Alfred in the back of my mind.  And so I waited. It was like waiting to bust a drug ring, except the stakes were lower and I hopefully wouldn't get killed. Given the luck the Team has had, I wouldn't put it past the universe to cause all the adults here to get possessed. When a shadow passed the door, I waited for the footsteps to fade away before slipping out. 

No one stood within my sight, and no one grabbed or yelled at me as I edged along the wall. Kaldur's door was still open, so hopefully I could--

"Kaldur," said Calvin from within the room. I pushed myself against the wall and peered around the doorframe. Kaldur blinked up at his dad with tired eyes. The way he sat was just so, the way he always did when he'd stayed up late working on reports. Calvin sighed and hugged him. "My little one."

It didn't feel right to intrude on the moment. Not when Kaldur hadn't had any private moments like this in a long time. The way he looked in that room, even in the memory Megan accidentally shared...Bile rose in my throat, my hands clenched, and I frantically blinked away the image. No, he wouldn't have had anything as nice there, and even now he's been isolated. I knew there were reasons. I knew it was because they didn't want us to accidentally cause a flashback or because they thought he'd do better while worrying about less people seeing him. I knew I knew I knew, and yet I hated it. He shouldn't be alone. The Team is just as much his friends as Tula and Garth and all the others. We're the ones who have spent the most time around him recently, so why should we be the ones not allowed to see him?

The longer I stood there, the harder the cold wall seemed to get. The Cave always started to get colder, colder than a sub-mountain base usually was anyway, around this time of year, something Barry always brought up when he visited the Manor. Always 'so glad we're in the Watchtower now' and 'you're willing to heat the entire manor, but not to put better heating in the base half of us lived in?' I should've known to bring a thicker jacket. 

Time passed, Calvin walked out without noticing me-- or at least he didn't acknowledge me, rude-- and I slipped inside as the door closed. 

"Kaldur?" I said. He jolted, head whipping up to stare at me. Fear sparkled in his eyes, only to extinguish. My body didn't move. Limbs heavy and feet glued to the floor, I was a statue. I...I didn't know what to expect. It was a rare occurrence for me. But they've been keeping us away and Bruce's lips were sealed. I'd only caught a glimpse of him on the few occasions I needed to grab something I 'forgot' at the Cave. 

Kaldur got onto his feet, walked over, and swept me into a hug. Warmth radiated from him. I wrapped my arms around his torso in return. Smushing my face against his chest, I couldn't help but breathe in the soft ocean scent that followed him around. He pressed his head against mine. Sharp points of pressure against my arms were the only warning I received before he pulled me even tighter. Kaldur released an arm, only to run his fingers through my hair. I sniffled. 

"Sh. You are okay, my friend. Ah, do you wish to sit?" He pulled away for a brief moment. He tightened his grip again when I refused to keep the space. I needed to hug him. Anything else wasn't enough. There weren't many ways to make sure he was really real, touch was one I could do. If I had to cling to him like a koala, than so be it. I didn't want him to vanish right in front of me. Kaldur sighed, sat, and pulled me next to him.