10

I stared out the window, holding back  my tears. I can't...I can't risk Kaldur sending me home, not while I am of better use here.

The League is dead...

Artemis is dead...

We're the last line of defense.

"There will be time to mourn later. Now we have a job to do. Defend the Earth and ensure Artemis' sacrifice was not in vain." Kaldur spoke.

"Back to the cave?" Robin asked.

"The Hall of Justice. The human race must know that there are still heroes defending them. There is still hope."

It didn't seem like it.

As we flew towards DC, I was half tempted to ask to go to camp, but...I don't want to drag them into this. They'll be safe as long as they don't leave.

"Superboy." Kaldur looked at Connor.

I looked out the windshield to see three alien ships attacking the military.

"On it." He stood up and jumped out of the ship, landing on an alien ship.

The Bioship didn't recoil as a beam of light hit the other aliend. As soon as we were sure they were of no more threat, we landed.

Kaldur and the others stood as we touched down, I followed their lead and walked down the ramp.

"I'm not Superman." Connor said.

"Tell that to the enemy. General Wade Eiling, U. S. Air Force." The general saluted Kaldur.

"Aqualad, Justice League. We'll help you salvage as many of the aliens' cannons as possible, then we start taking back what is ours."

In all honesty, there was not much to be salvaged. But we took what we could and started for the Hall of Justice.

"Come on!" Wally started running, slow enough for Robin to keep pace with him, probably so he could run him out of danger if he needed to.

My eyes widened and I sprinted towards them. "Move!"

I shoved them out of the way, my own body barely missing the beam. My momentum carried me forward, but my foot caught on something.

When I fell, a sharp pain shot through my ankle. I looked down and saw that my foot had twisted...I could only hope it wasn't broken.

I slowly moved myself so I was propped on my arms. Aqualad?

Yes?

I'm down, pretty sure my ankle is twisted-

I strained my neck to look up. I though I heard...

My eyes widened and I tried to free my foot from the rubble it was trapped in.

Aquagirl get out of-

My screams pierced both the air and the mind link as a piece of metal drove through my back and out my chest. My hand moved towards it, the metal slick with blood.

Percy!

Any hope at saving me was destroyed when the rest of the rubble fell.

Later

I groaned and sat up. I tried to stand, but I stumbled into someone's arms. Orin held me up, keeping me close to his side.

"You're all alive!" Megan exclaimed.

"What happened in there?" Batman asked.

"The exercise, it all went wrong." Manhunter looked at him.