66

"Kaldur, why do you not join in?" Garth asked. I glanced at him, before turning and walking away. He swore and his feet hit the floor behind me. "I apologize my friend, it is still hard to fathom that someone would do something so heinous."

"It is fine," I said, even though that was not the only reason I did not join. I have no place among my friends, I do not deserve anything from them and they should not care about me.

"Are you sure, my friend? You seem troubled."

"It is nothing."

Garth shook his head. "No, it is not. Something happened, beyond you being tortured, there is no other explanation for the way you and Percy have been acting around each other. Never in any of my years of knowing the two of you have I seen you act like this. The closest I can think of is when we were young, and even then it was nowhere near this."

"Garth, I beg you. Do not bring this up."

"I am sorry, but I must. You are my friend, and it pains me to see this. You are refusing affection! You could die."

"And I would deserve it if I did," I said softly. My entire life I had been told to protect Percy, to make sure she was safe. I failed once when we were young, the scar hidden under her skin icons is proof of that. I swore I would do what I could to protect her, including being overly harsh in order to protect her from physical harm.

"No, you would not." Garth glared at me. "There is nothing you could do that would justify you dying. You were tortured, my friend. No doubt part of it was to break you mentally, so you would no longer be able to perform your duties." His hand grabbed mine, and he pulled me into my room.

"Garth, how would you feel about taking over my duties?" I asked, sitting on the floor.

"I am not taking your place."

"I know you do not wish to, but- Garth, I might never return to Atlantis. I would be a liability to our king. No, it is better for me to give up my mantle and find a way to adjust to surface life."

Garth's purple eyes focused on me, staring at my gills. "This isn't exactly legal, but Tula and I made you something." He reached into a pocket and pulled out a necklace.

"I am not taking that."

"Why not?"

I frowned. "If I ever return to Atlantis, I want to do so when I can live with what I have caused. I do not know if that will ever be possible, but I must try. Redemption is a hard thing to earn, especially when the person you seek redemption from is one so deeply hurt by your actions."

Garth pressed the amulet into my hand. "Living your life to ease the burden of your own guilt-" he shook his head. "That is no way to live, my friend."

"Neither is-" I cut off. I shook my head. It is bad enough my king knows the truth. I would prefer for my friends to not know what is going on until the inevitable trial.

"You deserve this, Kaldur. Your home is undersea. If you can look me in the eyes and tell me you do not deserve to go home, I will drop the topic."

I lifted my head, stared him straight in the eyes, and said, "I do not deserve to return home. Not until I have earned my redemption." I handed the amulet back to him.

"Okay." He didn't seem happy about it, but he did drop the subject. He slipped it back into his pocket, before opening his arms. I knew what he wanted, and I knew he wouldn't give up. Not after the conversation we just had.

I sighed and leaned over. He hugged me running his fingers through my hair.

"I never realized how fast your hair grows," he said. "I think it is longer than mine."

"Yours is softer," I said. Tucking my head against his shoulder, I let out a shuddering sigh. I don't deserve this, but I can't help it. My body was relaxing into the hug, soaking in the affection Garth offered. He moved and rested his head against mine.

"I am so sorry you had to go through what you did."

"It is not your fault."

"No, but that does not mean I cannot say that." Garth tapped his fingers against my back. "First Purists, now surface dwellers. You should not have to deal with attacks like this, not with torture."

"You know I did not follow the mandate." I said, expecting that to change how he acted. I could not refuse him, not when I have been so deprived of affection, so I needed him to refuse to offer.

Garth scoffed. "Do you think I care? You are my friend, and I will not stand  by and allow you to die. Especially by something as stupid as refusing affection. We both know that is by far one of the worst fates one can suffer."

"I do not deserve a friend like you." I lifted my hand and messed with a strand of his hair.

"Well, if I am such a good friend, perhaps you will allow me to tease Percy without death glares?"

The corners of my mouth twitched into a smile, but it quickly fell. "I will make you a deal, my friend. If you can get Percy to talk to you freely, I will dial back on the 'overprotective brothering'."

"How much are we talking about?" Garth chuckled and shook his head. "Regardless, that is a deal I am willing to take, but for now I am going to focus on helping you."

Chapter done!

Now to go start a new story

*quiet sobbing in the corner* why do I do this to myself?

See yah