80

A soft sigh pulled through my lips. The palms of my hands pressed hard into my eyes, leaving dazzling mosaics of colors dancing against my eyelids. I dropped my hands, blinking and squinting as my vision returned to normal, greeted with the light streaming onto the floor through the small gap between the curtains. Fixing the cloth with a glare, I made a reminder to get new ones. Blackout ones maybe. 

Ollie groaned, and so did the bed as he rolled. One arm snaked around my waist in an attempt to pull me back down. As much as his measured breathing and closed eyes were working in his favor, he wasn't fooling me. He was awake. The way he effortlessly wrapped his arm around me only proved it. And so did the creak of the boxspring and the shifting of the mattress as he sat up. Warm arms draped my shoulders.

"You okay?" he asked. "I know you had a rough night."

"Kinda understating it." I leaned back against him. His arms, warm, warm arms, moved. No longer draping my shoulders like a shawl, they pulled me close to his chest. The soft mumble I made went ignored, as did the way I tilted my head back so I could press against his jaw. "And no, I don't want to talk about it."

"Aren't you the-"

"Don't."

He exhaled. The arms around me dropped, looping around my waist. Warmth swelled in my chest as he pulled me closer. I was situated between his legs, back to his chest. His hands rested over mine. "I'm worried about you," he said. "Take the day off. Please. Go back to bed, and I'll make you some waffles.  Or even birdseed if you want to eat that again."

"I was drunk." It was hard to not let my want seep into my voice. "We were playing truth or dare, and we made Bruce eat bugs." Oh it was so, so hard. Why was it this hard? I wanted to curl against him. I wanted to curl up under the covers and let him handle things. If I asked him, I knew he'd take the day off. Roy would be more than happy to go cover for us, and I would be able to lie in bed wrapped in Ollie's arms and cry.

But that's not what I wanted, what I needed probably, but not what I wanted. I wanted Roy to curl up in here with us. I wanted a movie to be playing and for everyone to be safe. Ollie kissed my temple, no doubt taking my silence for acceptance. 

Too bad I couldn't agree to this.

"I promised Roy I'd make him pancakes," I said. It was a fight to pull out of the hug, against both myself and Ollie. Coldness seeped into my bones in the brief moment it took to slide my feet into my slippers and throw on my robe. I knotted the belt and trudged out into the hallway. I couldn't just forget about this, I couldn't put it out of my mind. It would eat away at me until I talked to him, and I really couldn't afford that. Not now. Not with everything with Kaldur. 

The short walk to Roy's room felt far longer than it should. I was walking in place, never seeming to grow any closer to the plain door. Hesitance slowed my steps, iron chains around my ankles and tied to weights. When I finally reached his door, I nearly turned away. He could have been sleeping, hungover, out doing an early patrol, or just getting home from one. My feet were rooted in place, and I couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing. Giving in, I lifted a hand and rapped my knuckles against the hardwood of his door.

The door swung open, much faster than I expected, and I was face to face with Roy. A yawn split his face. He lurched forward, wrapping me in a hug. I placed a hand on the back of his head, fingers edging into the soft, tangled red hair. 

"What's this for?" I asked.

"Chocolate chip pancakes."

"Maybe." I pressed my head against his. "You know we need to talk about last night."