Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

Lillie

Soft music from Ariana Grande filtered through the kitchen from my phone that I placed on the counter. I was slicing some mushrooms and making some homemade pasta while humming my favorite song. I gave a quick twirl, my summer yellow apron swirling and my curly hair licking me in the face. This was my element. I might be insecure about my looks or dating, but here, I flourished.

My phone rang, jerking me out of my zone. I picked it up. Holding it between my right shoulder and ear as I continued kneading the dough.

"Hello?"

"Hey sweetie. How's my favorite daughter doing these days?" my mother squealed.

It pleasantly surprised me to hear from her. I missed my mother. She stayed in another state not that far from my town, but we hardly got to see each other. Her being a nurse and all made it slightly difficult.

"Did you forget about your poor mother? I don't hear from you anymore?" she continued. Determined to give me the guilt trip that succeeded in. I felt guilty.

My dear mother was nothing but a perfectionist. I have to say thanks to her for my drive when it came to the violin. She was a no nonsense, opinionated woman who cared about what people thought about her.

After dad died, she seemed more focused on my life. Especially the love aspect of it. It mortified her what had happened between Mason and I. she practically worshipped the man, and couldn't bring to understand why he did what he did.

I don't know, mum. Let's see, he just wasn't feeling my vibe anymore. That's a question I ask myself multiple times.

"Sorry Mum. Been busy at school and these assessments are getting a lot lately, and not to mention the concert that's coming up. They included our quartet on the program for the evening, remember..." trying to make some plausible excuse.

My mum accepted it, though. Thankfully. She can be a whiner. We caught up briefly, and I promised her to have a proper catch up session. I needed to make more of an effort.

"Promise?" she said. I could practically hear her pouting over the phone.

"Cross my heart and hope to die." I replied.

"Don't forget to stick a needle in your eye, honey. Alrighty then. Bye-bye." She hung up laughing.

I rolled my eyes and smiled, placing down the phone.

I texted Sassi a reminder for dinner tonight. Be here at 7pm. We're having fettuccine Alfredo. I sent with a smile emoji.

She instantly replied. "Yum. Bringing wine." This time with two glasses clinking emoji. I cheekily smiled. I couldn't wait to tell Sassi about my pen pal inmate.

  ***

"Hmmm. That was so delicious." Sassi hummed sitting back in her chair, patting her stomach. "Girl, you can cook."

"Oh, it was just Alfredo. Nothing special." I was bashful about taking in people's compliments. I don't know why I did that. I'm too modest for my own damn good!

After two bottles of wine. We discussed our pen pal letters with our inmates.

"Mine's in Virginia" she said. "he's slightly... how can I say... into light BDSM." she continued with a side smirk. I gaped at her, pouring the wine mid-way in my glass.

"You talk to him about these things?" I asked, placing my hand over my mouth. Clearly, I was being a bit dramatic. But I blamed it on the tipsy feeling in my head.