Chapter 38

CHAPTER 38

Lillie

I sat up in my bed; the sheets crumpled on top of me, and looked out the window. The moonlight illuminated the bedroom, giving everything a shadowy effect. The moon was bright tonight and full. I gazed at it.

I was glad I could calm Sassi down earlier and persuade her to give Dimitri a chance and that everything would be just fine. She seemed reluctant, though. But I couldn't be concerned about her feelings. It was my life and I felt it was the right thing to do.

I understood where Sassi was coming from, but she didn't know Dimitri like I knew him from all those letters we've written to each other. And now that we've met in person, things were different.

I checked my alarm clock on the side of my bed. It was 11:30pm and I couldn't sleep. Dimitri was downstairs, sleeping in the living room on the sleeping couch I had set up neatly for him earlier. I hoped he was comfortable, at least. He looked slightly discouraged when I left him downstairs. I hoped he didn't feel bad about Sassi.

I rubbed my forehead. If I could keep my family and friends away from Dimitri, I would. They simply wouldn't understand the situation at all.

I sighed.

It was strange having him here in my house.

So close.

I mean I could walk right downstairs, creep right in the sleeping couch next to him and cuddle against his masculine warm body if I wanted to. I shook my head hard. What the hell was wrong with me? I shouldn't even have such silly thoughts.

I got out of bed and opened a window halfway. It was getting way too hot in my room, and I needed to cool down. I crept back into bed, determined not to think about Dimitri like that again. I should be thinking about Arthur instead, even though we haven't really talked much in a while. Gosh, no thinking about boys, period! I hoped sleep would find me soon.

 ***

The next morning, I got up fresh for the new day ahead. I was both nervous and excited to see Dimitri downstairs; I had to look appropriate. I took a shower and slipped on a floral shirt and skinny jeans, allowing my brown curls to flow over my shoulders. I applied blush to bring out my rosy cheeks and applied a touch of lipstick. I didn't want Dimitri seeing me a mess first thing in the morning, if I could help it.

I ran downstairs to make some breakfast. It was Dimitri's first morning here, and I wanted to make something scrumptious than the slop he had in prison, he so eloquently put it. I went to the kitchen and glanced at the living room. Dimitri was already up and dressed in his t-shirt and grey trousers. He was sitting on the couch already neatly folded up, watching T.V.

I hesitated to approach him, but went ahead anyway. If we were to stay together, there couldn't be any awkwardness. He sensed my approach and turned his head around.

"Morning! how did you sleep?" I asked with a chirp.

Dimitri smiled. "Morning Lillie... great thanks."

"Since it's your first morning here, what would you like to eat for breakfast?" I continued.

Dimitri's smile broadened, a look I wasn't used to seeing on him. It suited him, though.

"I'll be happy with whatever's on the menu." He said, beaming.

"hmmm... okay. Does eggs, bacon and pancakes sound good?" I asked playfully.