Chapter 71

CHAPTER 71

Dimitri

I just got my ass kicked by a guy that didn't deserve it.

The humiliation from it still stung, not just my bruised jaw and ego.

Seeing Lillie again knocked me out. Literally!

And with her, old emotions were brought back that were buried deep. Her face drowned out the sea of faces around her, blocking everything out. Only she had that effect on me and still has, obviously.

I was baffled by the thought of Lillie here in New York City. Questions swarmed through my mind.

Was I supposed to approach her?

Talk to her?

Did she want me to talk to her?

Why was she and Sassi hanging out with Kyle?

How the hell did that even happen? Did I miss something?

We hadn't spoken in so long; I didn't know where I stood with her and wasn't sure what steps to take.

It honestly surprised me to see Lillie in the club when I walked in. She looked breathtaking. I never seen her look like this. She had a tight dress on revealing her slender legs, crossed tight together, as if she was getting cold. Her brown curls hung over her delicate shoulders.

Her hazel eyes snapped to me, but she looked quickly away.

It stung.

I couldn't blame her. Our meeting like this was very unexpected, curtesy of Kyle. And not to mention the two women seated at each side of me. It wasn't a good look. I regretted allowing them to enter the VIP section. Lillie probably thought low of me. Fuck, she probably hated me now.

I stared at her all evening, ignoring the women's conversation. It's not like they were here for me, anyway. Lillie looked uncomfortable, and I somewhat felt uncomfortable for her. She had a glimpse of my world, and I knew she didn't belong.

It bothered me she was in eyeshot with people I didn't want around her. I turned and glanced at Big Ben, Roxanne huddled near him, and I scowled. Shit, I didn't want the bastard even snatching a glance at Lillie.

My heart constricted.

Lillie got up and walked down the stairs, clutching herself with her arms around her. I watched her leave.

Should I go after her? 

Would she want me to? 

Did I want to? 

Fuck yes, I did!

I shook my head hard, feeling like the world's biggest jerk. I couldn't leave Lillie like this, like we were strangers. It felt fucking wrong!

I sprang to my feet and followed her out of the VIP section. She walked across the dancefloor to the entrance, and I wasn't far behind. I found her outside, away from the crowd of people. I walked up to her carefully. She turned around abruptly and fell into my chest. I grabbed her arms to steady her, and I almost forgot how soft her skin felt.

My eyes connected to her pretty hazel ones I fell in love with months and months ago. Filled with emotions I couldn't place... sadness, regret, disappointment... anger. Damn, I forgot how fucking beautiful she was. A burst of warm, familiar emotions rippling through within seconds. She pulled her hand out of my tight grip and brushed past me to continue to walk back to the club.