Chapter 32

CHAPTER 32

Lillie

I stared at the address, written at the back of Dimitri's letter.

Did he want me to come to him?

Was this a trap?

And not to mention, he was physically by my house twice now! The thought scared me, and I feared for my safety. I didn't know Dimitri's intentions. Was he becoming a stalker or something?

I took out my phone, wanting to call Sassi, but stopped myself. She would suggest calling the cops, which I didn't want to do. Technically, Dimitri had done nothing wrong. Instead, I looked up the parole office number on google and decided to call, to check and confirm his details.

The call was brief and to the point. I got all the facts that I needed. He really was paroled in Ashfield, and was residing at the address he had given me. But there was nothing I could do now except wait for tomorrow.

I crawled into bed. This evening was way too much, and my emotions were all over the place. I rejected a man that I liked and could possibly care for and was stalked by an ex-prisoner I don't really know or met in person. I didn't know if I was coming or going.

It surprised me to drift asleep so easily; I hadn't realized how tired my body and mind were. Sleep took hold of me, as dreams cascaded, leaving me unsettled.

The next morning, I woke up uncertain, with a ball of anxiety sitting in my stomach. I had a horrible night with twisted and confusing dreams. The sun peeked through the curtains, but the day seemed dark, like rain was approaching.

I walked to the bathroom and took a quick shower. Flashes of my sexy moments of Arthur flashed through my mind. His hands, lips and fingers travelling my body. I stopped myself, groaning at the fact I didn't take it further. I shook the thought away. My mind lingered on more important matters like Dimitri possibly stalking me.

Sighing, I stepped out of the shower. I got dressed in a shirt and leggings with black ankle boots. I left my hair to air dry and applied light makeup.

I was on a mission today. I had to confront Dimitri and tell him where to step off. Okay, maybe not step off, but at least tell him a piece of my mind and where exactly I stood with him.

In the kitchen, I ate my cheerio's cereal quickly and headed for the door, fueled with renewed purpose.

First things first, I needed some sort of protection for myself.

I drove to the nearest hardware store and purchased a can of mace spray, recommended by a friendly store man. A girl needs to go prepared, especially with a guy fresh out of prison. The small can fit snuggly in my sling bag. I entered Dimitri's address into my navigation system and drove.

Nerves were catching up to me, and my boldness started to fade. I felt like backing out, but I had to show Dimitri not to mess with me and pitch up at my house whenever he damn well felt like it. It freaked me the hell out.

It was mid-afternoon when I arrived. I parked outside the red brick double story house, building the nerve to get out. The run-down building was large, with two floors. It shadowed over me, making me feel intimidated. I bit my bottom lip, holding tight my steering wheel with slightly trembling hands. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea, but I come this far to not back out now.

I forced myself out of the car, holding my sling bag and the mace inside it tight against my chest. I walked through the doors of the half-way house, asking a man where Dimitri's room might be.

"Take the stairs, turn right, down the hall, room number 10." the man said impatiently.

I nodded and thanked him politely.

I jogged up the stairs to the second floor and turned right, walking carefully past men and woman, standing in the hallway. Whistles and hollering came my way as I passed.

"Hey Baby..." one big guy said.

"Hey Sweetness, looking for me," another man hooted.

It made my skin crawl as I pushed past them. Gosh, I probably stuck out here like a sore thumb.

I walked to Dimitri's door. I couldn't help but think how I walked to Arthur's door last night, filled with butterflies and excitement. This feeling, however, was much different, a feeling of fear and trepidation.

I stood in front of the wooden door and knocked timidly. The door jerked open and my heart pounded. It was ajar. I opened slowly and cautiously, peeking through before entering.

"Hello?"

I gulped.

"Mr. Hawke?"

"Dimitri?"

I said, but no response. I was met with silence.

The wooden floor creaked beneath me as I walked further in. I looked around and there was nobody in the room, giving me some relief. It was a small room with a double bed in the corner. I saw dirty overalls tossed on it, a pile of clothes in a basket and magazines spread out on a table, but all in all the place seemed pretty clean. The papers that looked like his parole information were sprawled on the table. I walked closer, trying to see a glimpse.

But I sensed someone standing at the back of me, as goosebumps rippled my skin.

"I could smell your perfume through the corridor," a deep voice jerked me, sending my heart into an unsteady beat.

I whipped around in a split second. To see a tall man smirking, wrapped only in a towel at his waist, water dripping from his muscular body. My eyes roamed over him. He had tattoos that snaked around his chest, shoulders, and neck and down his well-defined abs. He looked rough, his stare intensely burning into me, with dark hair cut in a buzz.

Dammit, he looked like he belonged in a boxing ring or in prison, or in this case, was released from one. He looked dark, dangerous, and menacing. My breath caught in my throat as I felt like I had entered the lion's den.

I swallowed hard; panic froze me in place. I looked at the man. He was smoldering and looked freaking hot! I couldn't tear my eyes off him.

I knew immediately.

This was the inmate I have been writing to all this time.

This was inmate 29901.

Dimitri Hawke stood finally in front of me.