Chapter 62

CHAPTER 62

Lillie

"This is awesome!" Sassi said.

I looked at her and smiled. "I guess. I just wish we were there already." I said, feeling anxious.

I never was much for flying, and three hours on a plane to New Jersey seemed doable at least. I took out a magazine trying to distract myself. Sassi chatted nonstop seated next to me. She'd gunshot the seat next to the plane's window, but paid no attention to it. To her, this was a mini vacation; a girl's trip, and my mom's wedding was just another event on her to do list.

My mother was already settled in New Jersey, with wedding preparations 95% done. I just had to swoop in and try on the bridesmaid dress my mom picked out. Gosh, I hoped it was pretty, but I'll just be happy with decent. Knowing my mom I'm lucky to get either.

I was thankful Principal Brown agreed to give me time off from school so short notice. I tried to give the substitute teacher enough schoolwork for my classes. And Mrs. Bates was kind enough to babysit Pebbles till I came back, in exchange for chocolate chip cookies she loved to eat. She was a good neighbor, who refused to take my money.

"I can't believe Aunt Judy is getting married." Sassi said excitedly.

The turbulence kicked in, rocking the airplane steadily. I clutched my seat and rubbed my left ear.

"Yeah... me either." I said miserably.

Sassi nudged me on the rib. "What's gotten into you, Lil? You're mopey! I thought you recovered from your bad head cold... Please say it's not coming back, that would spoil the fun!" Sassi whined.

"I am not mopey. And I recovered from my cold... it's just my ear, it hurts, I think it's the turbulence or something." I said sternly, rubbing my aching ear.

Sassi narrowed her eyes at me. "Hmmm, maybe you're getting an ear infection. It sometimes happens after a cold or flu." She said. "I swear, ever since Dimitri went gone with the wind, you weren't your same peppy self."

"That's not true." I replied too quickly. "I am peppy... see." I plastered a big smile on my face and blinked several times.

"Not funny," Sassi said evenly. "We need to get you a man in New Jersey. I'm gonna make it my mission."

"Hell no! ... why?" I said, crossing my arms.

"Because you're my friend! My friend that needs to GET LAID... And ASAP!" Sassi said, earning disapproving looks from an elderly couple seated opposite to us.

I blinked at Sassi. "Can you keep it down?" I said through gritted teeth.

Sassi rolled her eyes. "I plan for us to have F-U-N during this trip. I'm away from Trevor and I want to let loose a bit." She whispered the last words.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Let loose huh... it's only been four months and you're already jittery in your relationship." I said with a scoff.

Sassi pursed her lips. "Anyway, we don't know anybody in New Jersey. I want to have our girl's night in New York City." She said, clearly avoiding the topic.

"We don't know anybody in New York either, besides my great uncle, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to visit him." I said, flipping through the pages of the gossip magazine.

Sassi sat back in thought and then smiled creepily at me, coming close to my face. I shrank back in my seat.

"What?" I said frowning, holding the magazine up, shielding myself from Sassi's weirdness.

"Isn't a certain cellist in New York?" Sassi said, tapping her finger against her chin.

I cleared my throat and straightened myself in my seat. "Maybe..." I said, a secret smile etching up my face. Knowing that Arthur moved to New York and joined an orchestra, an orchestra that performed in a particular theater, I knew.

Sassi retreated to her seat, smiling. Thank goodness she didn't push the matter further.

"It doesn't matter. We'll paint the town red either way." She winked at me.

I sighed, my cheeks warm, scared for what New Jersey or New York in that matter might bring.

***

The late-night air was chilled as we walked out of the airport. A blast of wind smacked us in our faces. With my violin case tucked under my arm and our suitcases rolling behind us, Sassi and I stepped out and headed towards the taxi. We had landed safely in New Jersey and all I wanted to do was crawl up to bed.

Thirty minutes later, we arrived at the guesthouse. At the front door, I noticed the guesthouse wasn't all that up to scratch. The white double story house was large and had paint peeling off with green window frames. There was a small rose garden in front. It actually looked quite charming. It wasn't the Ritz, but it was clean and neat, at least.

Sassi gave me a pointed look and gave one right back with an arched eyebrow, stating, 'don't mess with me on this one'. Sassi sighed and rolled her eyes, and continued to walk through the entrance.

Check-in was quick. The room we got wasn't 5-star either. The window view overlooked the lovely garden. There were two single beds, a TV that lost its signal and the room didn't have a mini-bar, to Sassi's dismay.

"Great pick Lil... jeez." Sassi said from inside the bathroom.

"It's perfectly fine. It's clean and neat at least, and the room smells fresh." I replied pointedly, slipping on a vest and silk boxers.

"Whatever..." Sassi said, coming out with her top and pajama shorts on, her face lathered in a green mask.

She hopped onto the bed and tossed a facial mask at me. I grabbed it, sat down on the bed, and placed the cool wet sheet over my face. I ordered room service, two cheeseburgers with fries and Sassi picked a movie for us to watch. It looked like we were having a legit girl's sleepover. I giggled to myself.

We were sitting on one of the single beds watching 'Bridesmaids', munching on our burgers.

"Have you ever wondered what's Dimitri doing?" Sassi asked cautiously. "Or where's he now?"

My heart slightly stopped at the mention of his name. I blinked a few times at Sassi, almost choking on my fry.

I shook my head. "I thought about him a lot at the beginning... but not now." I replied softly, knowing it was a complete lie.

Sassi looked at me carefully, tilting her head. "Don't tell me you didn't check his Instagram or other social media or something?"

I sighed, eating another fry. "Nope, Dimitri doesn't have any social media."

Sassi pushed me playfully. "So you did check." she said, giggling.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't even know his number, it's changed. I have no way of contacting him. But why would I...he made it clear he doesn't want me with him."

"He's an asshole... that didn't deserve you in the first place." Sassi said smiling, she looked at the TV screen and continued watching the toilet scene in Bridesmaid.

That's all that I needed right now, to think about Dimitri... the ache set in again.

Damn, why did Sassi have to mention him? If only she knew how badly I wanted to know. Where was he? And if he was okay?