Chapter 64

CHAPTER 64

Lillie

It was midday. The afternoon sunbathed the small town in its warm light. Sassi and I followed my mom and my Aunt Louis, that flew in this morning for the wedding. Aunt Louis was way younger than my mom and only sixteen years older than me. 

We walked a good fifteen minutes from the car to the boutique that held the mysterious bridesmaid gown. Gosh, my nerves were on edge with the anticipation of this dress. I had zero information on it. I just hoped that it was decent. Shutting my eyes closed for a moment, shuddering at the opposite possibility.

The small town of New Jersey hummed. We crossed a busy road to get to the sidewalk filled with peppy shopping stores and vibrant restaurants. The atmosphere was electric with its diverse culture. But the afternoon was dulled slightly, thanks to the throb in my ear that was still aching inside. I tried to ignore it, determined for it not to bother me further. I just had to remember to get to a pharmacy after the fittings and get some medication.

"Almost there." Mom called back to Sassi and me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

Shortly after, we stopped in front of a store called Bows and Vows Bridal Boutique. It was a modest and quaint place. With bridal gowns on display through the large windows. We walked inside and the most pleasant smell hit my nose. The aroma smelled of lavender and a hint of vanilla. It complemented the pretty boutique with its light blue and white furnishings. It looked like a winter secret garden.

Bubbly in classic flutes were handed to us by a lady dressed in a dark blue two-piece suit. She looked polished, just like the boutique. Sassi, Aunt Louis, and I sat on the blue velvet couches. I sipped my flute, waiting eagerly to see my mother in her wedding gown, finally. I kept on glancing to the dressing room at the back, where my mom and the boutique lady disappeared through.

I turned my head to Sassi and Aunt Louis deep in conversation, the topic of discussion sounded like sex. It perked my attention and nudged to join in. But Aunt Louis raised her eyes and looked past my shoulder. Sassi turned around too and smiled.

"Aunt Judy!" She whistled. I whipped around and saw my dear mother standing in front of a long length mirror gazing at herself.

The sight momentarily took my breath away. My mother was a vision all in ivory and lace. Her gown clung to her on top and flowed out at the bottom, with delicate lace patterns caressing both her arms. She had a hair up in a bun, still rocking her dyed blonde hair. It brought a tear to my eye.

She looked absolutely stunning, elegant, and poised.

"Wow! Judy, you look great!" Aunt Louis said.

Mom's eyes slid to mine.

"You look beautiful, mom." I said sincerely.

My mom's eyes were bright, blinking away tears. "Do you think dad would've approved?" she asked softly.

I nodded. I went up to her, and we both embraced in a heartfelt hug.

"Your turn dear." The boutique lady said, ushering me to follow her, breaking the touching spell my mother and I were in.

Well, that moment was fleeting.

I followed the lady into the small dressing room with mirrors at all corners. The boutique lady expertly revealed the bridesmaid dress from its body case.

My eyes popped out, and to my horror, my worst fears came true.

It was awful. No... that word doesn't justify it. It was hideous, ugly, not my taste at all. Sorry mom, but you really dropped the ball this time!