Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

Lillie

1 month later,

The market street was quiet, I was happy about that. One thing I hated was a sidewalk filled with busy people moving and hurrying past me. Today was at least calm. So, my shopping was a peaceful and therapeutic affair, just what I needed.

After a quick lunch at a café, I decided to hit the stores. I possibly went slightly overboard. After a few purchases, I ended up carrying two shopping bags in my hand and three small bags in the other, filled with goodies from make up to romantic novels to a few multi-colored scarves. I went window shopping too, browsing from store to store. Where one store caught my attention.

It was a small boutique. There was a mini dress hanging on a mannequin through its window. It caught my interest. I decided to go in.

The dress seemed to beckon me, and I finally tried it on.

I placed all my shopping bags on the floor in the dressing room. Took off my skirt and shirt and slipped in the red mini dress. It hugged my body in the perfect way. Showing off my curves and ass. I stared at myself in the long length mirror. And I had to say, it didn't look half bad. I wasn't the type to wear such things, except for Sassi's black number she lent to me for Arthur's date.

But you never know when you might need a sexy dress again, right?

I bit my inner lip. Contemplating if I should purchase it. I decided to do it. I was spending up a storm already. One more item won't hurt. Trying to cheer myself up, I got me a 'LRD'. Maybe Arthur could see me in this for our next date, I thought salaciously.

The time we had at the school dance was perfect. Arthur let me fulfill my duties as he patiently watched the students dancing away. He even saved one dance for me. We took it slow that night, which I was grateful for. We had coffee and a light dinner and ended it off with a sweet kiss. Our next date was coming up soon, and I felt we could take things further. I think I was ready to, anyway. I was excited about the direction we were heading.

My schedule these days kept me busy. From setting up assessments, to trying out Thai recipes, to going with Sassi to swanky restaurants and practice with the quartet.

My life was moving on.

I thought about Dimitri a lot in the beginning since his last letter. I wondered how he was doing? If he was doing okay? If he still thought about me?

But I had to slowly forget about him, and that's exactly what I was trying to do. His letters secretly became a fond memory that I would always keep a safe place in my heart.

The streets were lined with trees, budding pretty pink blossoms that drizzled down with the gentle breeze. It was an emblem that Spring had arrived. My favorite season. New season, new beginnings. It was a long time since I felt this contempt.

I arrived home, parked my car on the side street, grabbed my shopping bags, and walked to the door. I opened it and was stopped in the entryway by a letter near the door's floor. Clearly this mail was slipped through the post slit.

With the door still open behind me. I dropped my bags carefully. I stared at the letter, thinking it was odd that mail would be delivered like this and not through my post box. It hardly happens except for pamphlets and newsletters, mostly.

My heart skipped a beat as I cautiously picked it up from the floor. I turned the white envelope around and saw my name written on it.

Simply addressed to 'Lillie'.

My breath caught in my throat.

I scanned the letter and realized that no address was on it. I hesitated to open. But after a second, I tore the envelope open and took out the letter. My eyes popped open, and my breath hitched. I knew this handwriting well. A shiver ran down my spine. Not knowing if it was from fear or pleasure or a combination.

It was Dimitri's.

How... On... Earth... Does... He... Know... Where... I... live! I thought.

I read the letter in my shaky hand.

Dearest Lillie,

As you can tell, I'm finally out of prison now and currently on parole in Ashfield.

If it's possible and okay with you... Can we talk?

Yours,

Dimitri

I gulped. OH FUCK!

                                                                                      ~ End of Part 1 ~