Chapter 34

CHAPTER 34

Lillie

The next morning arrived with light, refreshing rain. The clash of thunder sounded in the distance. Rain droplets hit against my bedroom window, humming a sweet lullaby. It made me sleepy as I slept in. Heaven knows I needed it. I didn't sleep a wink last night.

My mind replayed the meeting with Dimitri over and over again. Dimitri stepping in the room in nothing but a towel, which left little to the imagination. He was extremely good looking in a rugged bad guy kind of way, a guy you didn't want to mess with. He had an intense stare that unnerved me. His eyes revealing a storm behind them. I felt exposed underneath his gaze. It made me feel vulnerable. But there was something else in his stormy eyes. A look of pain and sadness lingered in them. He looked like he had a hard life.

I looked around my bedroom, still covered in darkness. Lying in bed, I felt completely conflicted. Dimitri wanted my help, he looked so defeated. I couldn't help but want to help the man. We developed a friendship, and he was asking me to be a friend.

Would it hurt to help him get settled in? He seemed genuine. He might have looked like he came out of prison, but I couldn't deny the honesty in his eyes.

I smiled to myself, seemed like I didn't need the mace, anyway.

After staying an extra hour in bed, I got up. I threw on my gown and walked to the bathroom to freshen up. I walked down the stairs, gave Pebbles her cat food and a quick pat, she meowed in approval.

I made a fresh cup of hot coffee and sat at the kitchen table, watching the drizzle of rain as I sipped my brew, completely lost in thought.

A knock at my door startled me back to reality. The knock became more intense, and I knew who that was immediately. I dragged my feet to the door and unlocked it.

"Sassi... what on earth are you doing here in the rain?" I asked frowning, gesturing my hands up to the cloudy sky. "And this early, mind you!"

"Not now," Sassi pushed past me into the townhouse. Rain had caught her blonde hair, making it look frizzy. Her white coat and jeans were slightly damp.

She looked pissed.

"Don't wet the floors!" I shouted at her.

She spun around and gave me a narrowed look. "I didn't hear from you yesterday?" she said, glaring at me, her hand on her hip. "With this inmate running around. I was sick with worry. I had to come through this pouring rain, my hair taking the hit for you, to check if you weren't kidnapped or something!"

Gosh, she can be so dramatic. I rolled my eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"MY MESSAGE. YOU DIDN'T REPLY TO MY MESSAGE!" she said, throwing a tantrum.

"Relax Sassi, jeez... I forgot. Drama queen much?" I said, walking past her entering the kitchen. I did honestly forget to text her back, but my mind was so preoccupied with Dimitri and our meeting, I wasn't so sure if I should let Sassi know about it. I decided against it by the way she's reacting right now.

"Want a cup of coffee?" I asked her.

Sassi sighed in defeat. "Sure. Why not?"

I got out a mug and poured a hot cup of fresh coffee. Sassi took off her damp coat, placed it on the seat next to her and sat down at the counter, reached for the coffee, and sipped. I placed some chocolate mint muffins on the table. She grabbed one and took a bite. After a moment, it looked as if she'd calmed down.

"I met with Dimitri yesterday!" I blurted out. I bit my bottom lip, but I had to tell someone, dammit.

She stopped chewing her muffin mid-way and gawked at me. For a good minute.

"You did what?" she said evenly.

I gave a quick nod, as if I were casually talking about the weather and didn't just drop news that would probably freak her out.

"ARE YOU INSANE LILLIE!?" Sassi got out of her seat, holding both her hips with her hands.

And que the dramatics.

I sighed and looked at her.

"How could you meet him? Do you know how dangerous that was? Did you just ignore my advice? You should've called the freaking cops!" she ranted.

"Listen Sassi, I appreciate your advice and take it most of the time." I said sincerely. "But I'm a big girl and I know what I'm doing, okay. And I wouldn't call the cops on him. Dimitri did nothing to me."

She shook her head and gave a long blink. "What did you guys even discuss?"

Sassi was interested, and I was happy about it. I told her the conversation we had, how he looked, where he stayed and the situation he was currently in. I finished with my thoughts on helping Dimitri get back on his feet and be a friend to him.

"So... he's hot then?" Sassi said curiously.

I rolled my eyes. "Is that all you got from the conversation?" I asked, annoyed.

She giggled softly. "What about Arthur? I thought you got something going on with him."

I frowned. "This has nothing to do with him. My relationship with Arthur is more on a romantic level and we not steady yet anyway, with Dimitri... it's simply platonic. I can help who I want to help, when I want to help them. I can make these decisions for myself, without answering to anybody."

My speech seemed convincing, even to me. I smiled doubtfully.

Sassi sighed. "I don't know if that's such a good idea Lil, I don't want you getting involved with this guy".

"I'm not getting involved with him, just helping him out. He has no one," I said.

To be honest, I understood what she was saying, but I didn't fully know what I was getting into. I just had to see how it all works out. Dimitri and I had developed a friendship while he was in prison and I wasn't planning on leaving a friend high and dry if he asked for my help. I wasn't that type of girl.

"Fine," Sassi said. "I just don't want you to get hurt in any way."

"I won't get hurt," I said.

But somewhere deep down inside, I wasn't too convinced.