Chapter 18

CHAPTER 18

Lillie

I just finished up my lesson in ancient civilization. Surprisingly, my 4th graders found it interesting. Who knew that Julius Caesar will get them going. But classes were dragging, and the day was long. I was glad Kenny cancelled practice this week. I wasn't in the mood. Bell rang for home time, it couldn't come any sooner.

I was exhausted, but nervous about tomorrow tonight. It was the big dinner with Arthur. Saturday came sooner than expected and I wasn't sure if I was fully ready for it.

While driving in my car from school. I borrowed the black dress from Sassi for my dinner date tomorrow night. Sassi suggested I wear it since my clothes weren't dinner date sexy, in Sassi's opinion. This was my first date post Mason, and I decided to be daring. I wanted to knock his socks off.

I was grateful that Sassi wasn't home. My nerves were already on edge. She packed the dress carefully in a boutique bag, with a small note:

Cinderella by day, SIN-derella by night!

I suppressed a smile and rolled my eyes. I can't with Sassi, but I loved her nevertheless.

After my quick stop. I checked my post box and collected a stack of letters inside. I returned home and was greeted with a meow at the door. My ginger cat purred, sliding against my legs. I gave a quick pat and walked to the living room, checking each letter.

Nothing again from Dimitri. I felt a tinge of sadness.

It's been over a week now since I heard from him. I couldn't help but wonder if he rejected my photo I'd sent him with my last letter. Did he not like them? Did he not like me? I sighed as my mind clouded with possible reasons.

I plopped on my green cushy couch and gathered myself towards myself. Maybe something kept him from writing, I debated. But my insecurities were rearing its ugly head once more. And rising slowly to the surface. This was not going to help one bit with my date with Arthur.

"You send a guy your pic and then he ghosts you after," I said out loud to my cat. Pebbles clearly didn't have a care in the world.

My phone rang, and I jilted in surprise. I checked my caller ID. It was my mum. Dammit. I really need to beat her to the punch when it came to calling.

"Hi mum," I said

"Hi honey... Why are you so quiet?" Sending me on the guilt trip once again.

"I'm sorry... I meant to call but-"

"but-but, always buts," she interrupted.

'How are you doing, mum? Everything okay at home?" I continued.

"Yes, sweetheart. But that's not why I'm calling. Have you heard the news? " Her voice sounded strained.

"What news? What happened, mom?" I said, frowning. My mum's health wasn't the greatest.

"It's Mason... He's engaged! " Her voice picked up a pitch. I didn't expect to hear his name again. Least of all by my mother, of all people. Everything sort of froze. And my stomach dropped at the news.

"He proposed to that home wrecking witch," she continued.

I fell silent. My mum didn't seem to notice.

"Apparently, this happened last weekend. Aunt Matilda told me over brunch this morning... The audacity. I can't believe him. I was so hoping you two could have worked it out by now." My mum sounded almost weepy.

Silence.

"Honey?... Lillie?"

"Huh?... sorry mum, something came up. I've got to go." And with that I ended the call.

I know that was rude. But I couldn't face my mum to answer right now. My mind was still processing what I heard. Mason's engaged. And to Melissa. I couldn't help it. But just then, all the bad memories came flooding back.

The cheating.

The pain.

The heartache.

The loss. 

And in this moment, I was sad. I was angry.

My eyes stung, and I blinked hard. I hated myself for it. I had moved on from him, or I hoped I did. It was only eighteen months ago. But after your heart's been shattered like that. It can heal. But it can grow back jagged and skew. I never fully looked at love the same way again. To be honest, this news was hurting me.

I couldn't help what I did next.

I grabbed my phone. Typed his name on Instagram and saw his freshly posted pics. I shouldn't have done it and regretted the decision almost immediately. But I couldn't take my eyes off it.

There was Mason, looking as handsome as I remembered. With his brown messy hair and brown eyes, holding Melissa, looking Instagram ready as usual with her red hair, smiling. The pair looking all lovey dovey. He held out her left hand high in his.

And there it was... a shiny engagement ring. I closed my eyes shut. And threw my phone to the side of the couch. I loved Mason. I knew it was pathetic that he cheated on me with Melissa. Six years was a lot to give to someone, and within a year and a half, he wants to spend his life with someone else. He was my first, only and last guy I ever slept with. I've never been with anybody else.

And he chose another woman.

I felt pathetic.

I fell further into the couch, trying to fight the lump that formed in my throat. Dimitri wasn't writing back either. Why was this happening all at once?

Suddenly, I felt very insecure about my date with Arthur.