Life After Lockup! Chapter 29

This is part II of Letters to Inmate 29901, called Life After Lockup!

CHAPTER 29

Lillie

Inmate 29901 is out of prison.

He's written a letter directly to MY HOUSE.

He's serving his parole in MY TOWN.

He asks if it's okay for us to SPEAK.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

My world was spinning with a hundred questions that I couldn't answer. I was still standing at my door with Dimitri's letter clutched tight in my hand. I scanned nervously around my neighborhood, looking right and then left down the street, thinking he might stand there. I shook my paranoia away; I don't even know how the man looks like. But nothing seemed out of place.

I dashed inside the house and locked the door shut. I tossed the letter onto the desk and paced back and forth anxiously in the living room. Not knowing what to do with myself, I ended up in the kitchen. I placed the kettle on and brewed myself some soothing green tea to calm my jittery nerves.

There was no way on earth I would agree to meet up with a criminal straight out of prison, even though I got to know this inmate in depth. But that was in letters only, not face to face. That was a whole other ball game. And how did he know where I lived? That thought freaked me out the most.

He's been to my house; he's seen where I live. Has he seen me? The thought gave me shivers, that made my skin tingle from fear... or something else that brewed with excitement. A thought crept secretly in... did I want to see him?

My head shook the silly thought away. The only thing I could think of was to call Sassi.

I abandoned my tea and dialed her number immediately.

"Hey Lil," Sassi answered.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" I shouted over the phone. I just blurted the words out.

"What the hell are you talking about?... Why are you shouting?" Sassi asked, confused.

"Dimitri wrote me a letter. And this letter was dropped at my house. Oh! And he asked me if we could talk in PERSON!" I said, sarcasm dripped from my voice.

"Shit Lil!" Sassi said.

"Yeah. No shit Sassi," I rolled my eyes.

"How's this my fault?" she said.

"Send a sexy pic... Spray perfume on the letter... Talk dirty to him-" but Sassi interjected my list of faults.

"Okay okay, but this is not my fault." Sassi said guiltily. Just ignore him and if he tries to talk to you again, that's basically stalking. And if he does anything funny, you call the cops."

"Gosh, I'm not getting the cops involved... Dimitri technically didn't do anything wrong." I replied cautiously. "He just asked me to talk."

"Didn't do anything...Yet." Sassi continued.

"Oh, whatever, I'll deal with this my way and make my own decisions." I huffed.

Sassi sighed, "Alright, just be safe and call me if he does anything further."

"Okay. Bye." I hung up.

I thought about what Sassi had said and decided to ignore his letter. Hopefully he'll see I didn't respond and get the message to leave me the hell alone.