Chapter 89

CHAPTER 89

Lillie

Three weeks later.

The last couple of weeks since New York felt like I fell into limbo.

Everything and nothing happened at the same time.

Pulling the trigger still haunted me. And watching Dimitri go in handcuffs with the cops still tore me up inside. But I had to be strong. He would want me to be strong. So I tried.

I was glad for the distraction of teaching, though. Keeping busy at least eased my mind off the shooting incident and Dimitri, even though it was difficult. But times when I'm alone in my townhouse, silence took hold and memories of that fateful afternoon came flooding back. I just hoped Dimitri was okay, who was still in New York awaiting his trial.

My heart ached.

Nausea crept up in me again, and I instantly felt tired. I've been feeling sick lately, and it felt like it wasn't easing up. The stress and anxiety over Dimitri's trial was taking a toll on me. I stuck to our story and told the police what Dimitri wanted me to say. They transferred the $30 000 dollars back to my investment account, after all the facts checked out in their investigation.

I went to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of cold water. I drank the cool liquid, quenching my parched mouth. The knock at the door startled me.

I walked towards the front door; the knocks becoming more intense with each passing stride.

"Hey Sassi," I said as I opened the door.

Sassi was all smiles entering the townhouse. "I've got pizza, and it's cheesy, just the way you like it." she boasted. Sassi came to visit almost every other day, checking on me and trying to make me feel better.

We walked into the kitchen, and I finished my glass of water.

"You ready for New York tomorrow?" Sassi asked.

I nodded.

I was glad Sassi wanted to come with me to Dimitri's trial taking place in two days' time. Our flight would be tomorrow, and we'd return immediately after it ended. It really meant a lot that Sassi was on my side, and more importantly, on Dimitri's side, too. My mom supported me at least, but was still skeptical. Sassi and my mother were the two people I trusted the most in this world, so I told them the truth. They didn't judge me and admired Dimitri for protecting me.

"Dimitri's case of self-defense looked strong. We can just hope for the best." I said.

Sassi placed the hot pizza on the counter and got two plates out for us. I didn't have much of an appetite though. She opened the pizza box, and the waft made me feel ill.

"Lil, are you okay?" Sassi asked, raising her eyebrow. "You don't look too good."

I looked at the pizza. The mushrooms were the guilty ingredient.

"I think I'm gonna be sick..." I held my mouth with my hand, withholding any stomach contents from spilling out, as I dashed to the bathroom.

I placed my head over the toilet as I threw up.

After I was done, I gurgled my mouth with mouth wash over the sink and splashed my face.

I turned and stopped midway, watching Sassi giving me a pointed look with a cold water bottle in her hand.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" Sassi asked suspiciously.

"No." I said, shaking my head. I walked out of the bathroom and into the living room and slumped on the sofa. Sassi passed me the water bottle. I opened it and sipped the water slowly.

"Are you like pregnant or something?" Sassi asked, sitting on the couch next to me.

I frowned, surprised by her question. "No, of course not." I said confidently. "I'm on the pill, remember? I'm just stressed out, that's all."

"Hmmm, maybe you skipped the pill for a couple of days? Or you changed prescriptions? Or even taken antibiotics?"

I stopped drinking the water. And hazily responded.

"Wait... what?" I said, confused tying to soak in what she said. "What was the last part?"

Sassi frowned. "Taking anti-biotics?" she said slowly.

My mind turned from confusion to shock as the thought hit me like a lightning bolt.

I looked at Sassi. "The pharmacist gave me antibiotics to take for ten days for my ear infection weeks ago."

"Ten days?" Sassi questioned. "And when and where did you take it?" she continued, reading my mind.

My eyes popped open.

"About three weeks ago, in New York... I stayed with Dimitri, in his apartment." I whispered.

"Oh, shit!" Sassi said, smiling.

Oh shit indeed, I thought!