Chapter 75

CHAPTER 75

Lillie

OH SHIT!

Suddenly the warmth rushed to my cheeks, as my body burned with heat

The kiss between Arthur and I stopped abruptly. My eyes popped open at the colossal mistake that had escaped my mouth, which was still open with shock.

I couldn't believe what I had just said. Dimitri's name just flowed from my lips to Arthur's ears.

I stared at Arthur, who pulled back from me immediately. He stared at me, tight-lipped, his eyes dumbfounded, a trickle of heat behind them.

Gosh! I wanted the earth to open and swallow me whole. I stood frozen, not knowing what to say or how I could help rectify this horrible situation.

I reached out to Arthur, touching his arm. "Arthur, I'm so sorry-"

But Arthur jerked his arm away from my grasp. He looked to the left, down the street, staring in the distance. He seemed deep in thought. I didn't know what he was thinking. He looked at me, confusion clouded his face.

He shook his head. "I don't understand..."

I looked still wide eyed, gulping hard.

"Why do you keep thinking about the man?" he said, as if thinking out loud. "He's a criminal, an ex-convict, that can't give you the life I can provide."

I bit my bottom lip. Unsure of how this conversation will turn out.

"Yet... you still choose him above me, a prison scumbag, time and time again!" he scolded, his voice rising with anger.

"I understand Arthur, please I do. I don't mean to lead you on or do this to you. It's confusing even to me. There are times I don't know who to choose or what to do." I said.

Arthur looked at me, a frown formed on his face, as he laughed out into the air. "I'm not a man to wait on a woman to choose between me and another guy Lillie!" he said. "Any woman would be happy to be with me, yet you refuse!"

I stood stunned. Did he really say that?

"He's dangerous, his people trashed your house... if I'm correct. Because you choose to be with him!" Arthur continued shouting.

"It was just the living room. How did you know about that?" I asked defensively.

His body stiffened. "Sophia told me when you guys went out for lunch with the quartet."

Arthur didn't know the full details, but neither did I, come to think of it. Am I making the wrong choice here? I knew my mom and Sassi thought Arthur was the better choice and still do.

But did I think that?

The answer hit me all at once.

I breathed in deep and shook my head softly, a sudden thought of realization hitting me hard, something I was hiding away, that I was denying to myself. There was only one man I thought about... constantly.

My heart cried out for someone else.

I sighed. "I'm so sorry Arthur. But I can't help how I feel, no matter how hard I try."

Arthur listened intently. Frustration written on his face, as he folded his arms against his chest.

"My head and heart are in a constant battle; they tell me two different things. But one thing is clear now. My heart doesn't tell me to be with you." I breathed. I looked down at the ground, feeling ashamed. I couldn't help it, I felt bad.

Silence took hold of the night. The streets were empty as Arthur and I stood in front of the guest house. The warm night suddenly took a cold turn, with a bitter wind slipping by. A perfect picture of how this night was going.

I looked up at Arthur, his ocean blue eyes suddenly turned icy. The warm and tender man I knew turned cold and rigid. It kind of scared me. I knew he was angry, but the switch in demeanor was so apparent.

"So, you're choosing Dimi –"

But Arthur was stopped by heavy footsteps approaching us.

We both sharply turned in the direction of a tall man appearing out of the shadowy street.

Dimitri walked slowly up to us, his hands in his jacket pockets. His eyes lingered on me and snapped to Arthur; a scowl formed on his pissed off face. Arthur straightened his back, glaring at Dimitri. My mouth dropped as the two men stared at each other off in silence. I couldn't believe this was happening all at once.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear!" Arthur huffed out in annoyance.

Dimitri ignored Arthur's comment and looked at me. His stormy eyes turned weak for a moment.

"Is he the guy you moved on with?"