Chapter 68

CHAPTER 68

Lillie

The clock hit 6:30pm.

I looked out the window of the hotel room, overlooking Midtown New York City. The street was fluttering with people and cabs. The air felt electric, charged with diverse energy. Sassi booked us right in the middle of the action. It was Saturday night, and I was excited to let loose with my best friend.

I didn't want to think about Arthur right now and his invitation to my mom's wedding. Would it be awkward? Or would it rekindle something between us again? I didn't know, but a spark of hope ignited within me.

"Come on Lil, let me do your makeup." Sassi called me from my reverie.

I turned around, wearing only my bra with shorts. I freshly showered and Sassi and I were getting ready to hit the town, just us two girls.

I strolled to Sassi and sat down at the dressing table. A display of makeup was spread out on it. Different shades of lipsticks, foundation, eye shadow palettes from Huda and Urban Decay were jumbled up, with assorted eye shadow brushes and blush. Sassi looked like she bought the whole Mac store.

I sat and played with a few shades of lipstick on the back of my hand. Sassi's makeup was done, and she looked smoking. Pardon the pun. She had bold, smoky eyes with nude lipstick.

After twenty minutes, she was done with my makeup. I looked at my face in the mirror and absolutely loved what I saw. Sassi was a pro at makeup and knew my features well, bringing out the best in them. She gave me nude tones with a touch of purple and gold, complementing my dark plum dress and a mulberry lip. I rarely saw myself in this light.

I let my curly brown hair flow over my shoulders and slipped on high nude heels. We were finally ready to take on the city. Me in my plum number that hugged my body, and Sassi in her siren red dress. I felt confident and sexy for the first time in a long time.

We exited the hotel and got a cab. Sassi wanted to check out a bar first before we hit the clubs later. I didn't mind, since I didn't know what to suggest.

The cab came to a stop in front of a dodgy area. I raised my eyebrow at the surroundings, people dressed bohemian style were gathered outside, smoking cigarettes and chatting. We approached the front entrance that read 'Secret Saloon' in violet florescent lights. I looked at Sassi hesitantly, but she just chuckled.

"Come on!" she teased. "Don't be a wuss."

I clutched my sling bag on my shoulder and ventured inside, Sassi pulling my arm behind her. There were dark steps highlighted by lights on the wall, leading down to what looked like a dungeon. I cleared my throat, not sure about this. It looked like we were entering an underground club.

We walked down the steps, and into an open planned bar. The cozy space was laced with small tables with tiny candles on them, friends and couples were huddled around. There was a stage up in front with a band playing. A huge bar on the right side. The interior looked 1920s and gave a burlesque vibe. I liked the venue, and a smile crept up my face.

"You see, the place isn't that bad. A gem in this crazy town." Sassi said, nudging me.

I had to admit, she did good on this one. I'm all for everything vintage.

We took a seat at one of the cozy tables. A waiter came by and we ordered our cocktails. I relaxed finally and my shoulders swayed lightly to the sexy music played by the band.

"I think we needed this." Sassi said, flipping her blonde hair.

"Yes, definitely." I agreed.

The waiter came by and handed us two cosmopolitans.

"The plan... is to get wasted tonight and wake up tomorrow not knowing what the hell happened." Sassi beamed.

I pouted. I wasn't too keen on living a scene from Hangover. But agreed nonetheless, cheering her cocktail with mine.

After two shots of tequilas each. We chatted about silly topics and watched the band play.

"Hey... Lillie?" A male's voice called out to the left of me. "Is that you?"

I turned around and Sassi looked on, watching the band. I recognized the man in the black leather jacket approaching through the crowd. He was clean shaven this time, but I knew his face.

"Kyle..." I said, clearing my throat. I didn't expect to see him here. A shiver ran down my spine seeing his familiar face, a man I didn't quite trust. I didn't forget our last encounter and how he had made me feel uneasy. "What a surprise to see you here."

"Likewise." He said, grinning. "What brings you to The City?"

He took the extra seat at the table, without invitation.

"My mother's wedding is in New Jersey, so my friend and I are having a girl's weekend here." I answered, regretting I revealed too much information.

Kyle nodded, intrigued. "I was just meeting up with some friends for a drink. This is my favorite spot."

Sassi eye-balled me, probably lost in this situation.

I was about to introduce Kyle to her, but he introduced himself to Sassi, shaking her hand.

"How do you know Lillie?" Sassi asked sideways, a flirt in her eye.

I rolled my eyes internally.

"I'm Dimitri's best friend." Kyle replied.

My heart skipped a beat at the sound of Dimitri's name.

"Oh..." Sassi said, popping her eyes in curiosity. I knew what she was thinking, and I shuddered at the thought.

Sassi looked at me cautiously.

I drank a gulp of my cocktail.

She turned to Kyle. "Dimitri's friend, huh? You see him a lot?"

My skin electrified as shock waves rippled through me. I didn't want to talk about Dimitri, but I was too curious to want to know more.

Kyle's shoulders shook with laughter. Like there was some kind of joke Sassi and I weren't privy to. "Yeah... you could say I see him a lot," he said with ease.

Sassi pouted and narrowed her eyes. "So, for interest sakes... How's he doing these days?" she asked nonchalantly.

Kyle sat back and folded his arms. He regarded Sassi and then studied me, deep in thought. Sassi huffed in irritation. His pensive gaze turned into a smirk.

He leaned forward across the table, his arms folded, his smirk turned mischievous. "Why don't you ladies find out for yourselves tonight?"