Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

Lillie

On my way home, I checked my post box. There laid a single white envelope. I thrill ran through me. Was that butterflies fluttering around in my stomach? I giggled.

Wondering if Sassi's words rang true about the whole perfume letter thing. I picked up the letter and jogged to my car, excited for Dimitri's response. I couldn't wait any longer. Surprising myself, still in the car on the sidewalk in front of my house, I grabbed the letter and tore it open.

Calm your ass down Lillie, I scolded myself. After a moment, I calmed myself down and proceeded as normally as I could. I delicately pulled the letter out.

I soaked up every word, reading it a little too slow.

My eyes widened.

Dear Lillie,

Thank you for your letter, and for opening up to me. I enjoy learning about your life.

Don't get discouraged about your father's passing. Pain is a part of life. I felt great pain, rejection and anger that still challenges me to this day. We experienced loss together. Never hearing our loved one's voices and seeing their faces can haunt you every day. Don't worry, your heart will heal little by little.

This ex of yours is a dickhead for leaving you. If I were your man, I would be happy and proud to have someone as special as you by my side.

I've never done much with my life, but I'm glad our paths crossed, even though it's through letters. I like writing to you and look forward to each letter. I think about you a lot in here. You are a welcome distraction, a light in this dark prison.

This letter is an invitation for you to get to know me better.

Please send me a pic of yourself. I would very much like to put a face to the name.

Yours,

Dimitri

I was speechless. This letter from Dimitri was making me feel a whole lot of feelings at once. He never written to me like this before, and he seemed so open. He wanted me to get to know him on a deeper level. My heart was skipping a beat at each word he wrote, and a delectable shiver ran down my spine. He really liked my letters and looked forward to them.

I blushed at the part where he wrote 'if I was your man and he said I was special' and fully agreed with him about Mason being a complete dick. I giggled.

And am I really a light in his life? I sucked in a breath.

"A PIC? he wants a Pic?" I asked myself.

Panic gripped me. I grabbed my basket from the trunk and rushed to my door, muttering 'a Pic' all the way. Once inside, I texted Sassi.

He wants a pic.

Message sent. I hoped Sassi wouldn't take long to reply. To my surprise, my phone pinged. It was Sassi.

Who wants a Pic? she texted back.

I rolled my eyes. Liam Hemsworth... Dimitri!!! Who else!!

She texted back. Jeez, take it easy. Lol. Hmmm... Take a pic and send him one.

My mouth dropped open at her message. Are you insane?! Why are you encouraging this?

I bit my bottom lip, waiting for Sassi's reply. My phoned beeped.

OMG! Why are you asking me then? I sent dirty pics to my inmate all the time.

I sent a shocked face emoji.

C'mon, it's totally safe.

She seems determined that this whole pen pal thing is safe. I took a deep sigh and momentarily thought about it. Okay, I was prepared to do it.

I typed my message to Sassi. Okay, I'll do it!

She replied. That's my girl. He's all alone in prison. Take a sexy one 😉

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. I guess if Sassi gave pics there's nothing to it, right?

I opened my door and walked to the living room to get my old polaroid camera that I placed in a drawer in the corner years ago. I used it last in high school. I checked to see if it was still there. I opened the deep drawers and shoved around other old objects. Photographs, a book album. My hands glided over the familiar heavily weighted camera. It was there.

Forty minutes later, I ate my cheese grilled sandwich dinner and freshened up. I placed light makeup. Some natural tones eye shadow, a dash of pink blush on my cheeks and a taint of red lipstick staining my lips. It complemented my yellow summer dress I wore that day.

Gosh, Sassi was so much better than this than me. Shrugging it off. I continued to loosen my hair from my tight bun and let my dark brown curls gently fall just beneath my shoulders. I looked at my reflection in my dresser table mirror and sighed.

I always had major insecurities about my body and looks. I hated my freckles. My boobs were too small. My hair was too curly, which made it hard to tame sometimes, and I wish I had a more toned athletic figure. Frowning. I decided this will have to do. This guy can't think I'm some kind of Victoria's Secret model or something.

Satisfied, I sat on my bed. With my camera stationed at the foot of it stacked on books. I let the timer set and take random pics after each other automatically. I was determined to give him a head and shoulder shot instead of a full body. Thank you very much.

As the camera clicked away. I did different poses. A smile. A head tilt. A wink. A wide grin, baring too many teeth. I shook my head. I could be such a nerd.

After the pics fell to the floor. I got up from my bed and retrieved them. I scanned the pics, flipping them over. Grimacing at each one, not liking any of them. Except the last one. It was just me with my smile.

I held my breath. This will just have to do.

I went downstairs with my picture in hand and sat at the desk. I began to see Dimitri in a new light. It's as if the dark fog was lifting around him and I was seeing him for the first time.

I got my pink envelope. Paper. Pen and my Chanel no. 5, and started to write. Fighting down the butterflies forming in my stomach and biting my lip all the way.