Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

Lillie

Tonight was the night. My dinner date with Arthur. He texted me last night to confirm our details. We were to meet at a place called the Red Wine House. It sounded like a refined restaurant. I didn't expect less. Arthur was a sophisticated man.

I looked in the mirror above my dressing table. I tried to place concealer under my puffy eyes. I regretted shedding any tears for Mason. My heart was still tender from the information I had received last night, but I was hell bent on my emotions not to interfere with my night with Arthur. This was my chance to move on and let go of the hurtful past.

I applied my make-up, deciding on a light smoky eye with a bold red lip. I tied my hair up into a messy bun. I slithered on Sassi's tight black dress. I was slightly curvier than Sassi and surprised how snug it fit on me. I studied myself in the mirror. The dress hugged me and showed every curve of my body. The red heels complimented the look.

I wasn't used to showing my figure, not even with Mason. I wasn't confident wearing the dress. I shook hard the insecurities away. I needed to step out of my comfort zone. My neck and wrists were stained with perfume, surrounding me with a delicate air. I grabbed my purse and headed downstairs. Before reaching the door, I grabbed a black cardigan. I rolled my eyes, knowing I might want to cover up this snug dress during the evening.

Once outside, I hopped in my car and punched the Red Wine House address on my GPS. Nerves took hold of me as butterflies swam, not just my stomach this time, but travelled up my chest, threatening to choke me. I didn't know what to expect from this night or from Arthur. A million scenarios were running through my mind.

 ***

The Red Wine House was not what I expected. It was a small, quaint place tucked away between two large buildings on a quiet street. It wasn't a restaurant, but a cooking classroom. I walked inside what looked like an enormous kitchen. There were a few couples, each with their own long steel table with vegetables and cooking equipment displayed on it. In front of the class was the cooking instructor with her own steel table, facing the couples.

I scanned the room and saw Arthur at the last corner table waving me over. Deciding my black dress was too swanky for a cooking class, which was not what I had in mind. I slipped on my cardigan as I approached him.

He looked dashing as ever, even in his casual wear. He had a light blue shirt tucked in dark jeans, displaying an outline of his lean body underneath. His hair was not in his usual sleek style, but was a bit roughed up, giving him an edgy look with his light beard. I wasn't used to it. But I liked him this way.

Arthur immediately greeted me with a firm hug. He was a good height above me, and I returned it timidly. His cologne filled my senses as I breathed him in. He's minty musk scent smelled delicious, just how I remembered it.

Clearly, the food we were about to make won't be the only thing watering my mouth tonight. I blinked hard away my naughty thoughts. Get it together Lillie, don't act like an idiot!

"You look amazing tonight, Lillie," Arthur said, his voice almost silky to the touch. Gosh, this man said I looked amazing. Remind me later to give Sassi a gift.

"I hope you could find the place alright?" he continued as he took off my cardigan gradually, as if he were unwrapping his gift, and hung it over the table chair. Revealing my curvy body and slight cleavage.

He probably thought I was a blubbering dimwit, as I tried to cross my arms against my chest. I just kept staring and smiling. I forced myself to speak.

"Yes, I found it fine. Thanks."