Chapter 23

CHAPTER 23

Lillie

Sitting at the staff meeting after school was tough. I couldn't focus on what the principal was saying. It was a lot of babble and her voice faded in and out as my mind wondered to Dimitri's letters. It bugged me how close we had gotten over these past weeks. But I liked it at the same time. It felt good to confide in someone. Even though that someone was an inmate from prison. He was a complicated man. That was much I could tell from his letters. He seemed angry too, by the way he would talk about his crimes. But regretful and apologetic. I felt sad for him. He's been through a lot.

"Miss Clarke?" Principal Brown said, jolting me awake from my lingering thoughts.

"Uhm... Yes?" I said, wide eyed. Ashamed I was caught daydreaming instead of listening.

Principal Brown eyed me suspiciously through her glasses. Obviously unimpressed.

"You're on duty with Mrs. Parker next Saturday at the school dance," she said strictly.

"Oh, yes definitely," I said with a nervous laugh.

Principal Brown removed her spectacles, "Staff, when we're in a meeting discussing important school matters. I expect everyone to pay attention." Ouch. No doubt that was aimed at me. I lowered my eyes to the floor. Cursing at myself, why was Dimitri occupying my mind?!

At least school and the violin were a good distraction. I couldn't let my thoughts interfere with my job or the kids. I had a dance to prepare and an upcoming concert to concentrate on. My plate was full as it is.

At home, Pebbles greeted me by rubbing against my leg. I gave a quick pat on her furry head. Coming home was lonely I had to admit. I didn't mind living alone. But it would be nice to come home to and talk to somebody about my day. To share life with. I was exhausted. It's been a stressful day. I rubbed my aching temples, desperately wanting to melt into a nice hot bath.

After dinner for one, I walked up to my bathroom and turned on the tap. Warm water came pouring down, forming bubbles that foamed the top. I sat at the edge of the bath, breathing in the lavender and vanilla extracts of the bubble bath. It was heavenly and just what I needed. My phone rang, snapping me out of my trance.

I checked the caller ID. It was Arthur. Why was he calling now all of a sudden? I hesitated to pick up, but answered it nonetheless.

"Hi," I said.

"Hey there," replied Arthur. I remained silent, waiting for him to continue.

"How are you?"

"Fine thanks," I replied.

Arthur sighed. "Listen. I know you're probably confused with my actions after our date?"

Of course I was confused. I knew I sort of bolted on him and cut our kissing moment short. But I was overwhelmed, dammit!

"Yes," I said in an even tone.

"I didn't know how to handle the situation. I really loved our date and thought we were getting on well. When you left like that... I wasn't sure what to feel, to be honest. Working together in the quartet makes it more awkward for me. The way I treated you wasn't fair, and I called to apologize." He said, his voice gentle all the way.

"I thought you blew me off. You didn't bother to call, text or anything." I said, rising my voice slightly at the end.

"I'm sorry Lillie, I'm really sorry," Arthur said, sighing.

"I don't know." I closed the bath tap and played with the foamy, warm water with my fingertips.

"It's my turn to make it up to you. Please Lillie, allow me to make it up to you?" he said, pleading.

Wow, Arthur was trying, and I was pleasantly surprised. I guess I had to give him another chance since I left him confused.

"Okay fine. Make it up to me." I said, smiling softly.

"Great! How does next Saturday sound?" he asked eagerly.

"Saturday, I have teacher duties. Hey, would you like to come with me and then we could do something after?" I said, holding my breath.

"Sure, I'll be glad to come with. What's it about?" He asked.

I filled him in about the school dance. He was eager to be on board. I found it incredibly sweet. We ended the call on a pleasant note, and I was happy. My aching temples suddenly eased.

I changed out of my clothes and slowly hopped into the bath. It was warm and delicious. For some people, it might be too hot, but it was perfect for me. I sat while the hot water melted my skin, the aroma of lavender swirling around me. The steam was rising, sending the bathroom into a misty haze.

I grabbed the shampoo and squirted some in my hands. I first smelled it before washing my hair. The smell of strawberry curled up my nose. I inhaled. As I lathered my hair, my mind blinked to Mason. He has someone now, now and forever. I couldn't help but feel that someone should've been me. I felt ashamed for feeling like this. But it was natural. We were so long together. I blame it on lack of experience with men. I shouldn't place all my eggs in one basket. Go figure. My first guy I gave my virginity to and I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with.

I scowled at myself.

Get a grip, Lillie.

My mind hopped to Dimitri. I wondered how many girlfriends he had. I knew of one. But he had said they were no longer together. How many women had he slept with? He was probably very experienced. He seems the type that would be. Heat rushed to my cheeks as I sank lower into the bath and rinsed my hair.

I took the soap and lathered it on my sponge and began to wash my neck.

Dimitri is lonely too up in prison. I mean, he hasn't been with a woman for seven years. I wondered if Dimitri thought about me often. I thought about him a lot. He said he's tall, has dark short hair and turquise eyes. He said he had tattoos. I thought about where on his body he's tattoos were. How was he built? 

Did he have big hands?

I liked guys with big hands. As I washed down my body, my thoughts turned naughty. I was going a direction I'm not sure I wanted to go. I thought about Arthur's hands. His hands were delicate, but big and strong. The way he squeezed my ass and held my waist, I knew that for a fact.

The light throb between my legs grew. I thought about our kiss and wondered what would've happened if I didn't stop him. How far would we have gone? I always felt shy about sex, even when I was alone. And thinking about Arthur's lips and lean body on mine, plus my aching core, was not a good combination. It felt like a combustion ready to explode.

To diffuse this arousal. I quickly got done and got out of the bath. I put on my silk dress nightie and climbed into bed. Not knowing that my fantasy was just beginning.