Chapter 92 - Epilogue

CHAPTER 92 - EPILOGUE

Dimitri

11 months and 3 weeks later at Wentworth State Prison.

The last year had been rough and couldn't say it was smooth sailing. I kept mostly to myself like I did before, just counting down the weeks anxiously by. But this time round, I felt fulfilled, and I had a purpose.

It was all worth it for Lillie, for our little family.

I sat on my bunker bed and looked through the pictures of Lillie and my baby girl. Little Amber will be four months next week. I smiled, gazing at her fluffy, curly brown hair like her mother, and green eyes like mine. She was perfect in every way, and I couldn't wait to finally see both of my girls in a couple of days.

When you're incarcerated, letters are your lifeline. They keep you going from day to day and in your darkest times. It brings the voices of those you love right into your head. And my hands itched to get my hands on Lillie's comforting ones each time. There are a few things to look forward to in prison, and her mail was one of them.

I stacked all Lillie's ninety-six letters, each packed with pictures of her and my baby girl and kisses into two stacks neatly. I breathed in her signature delicate perfume as it wafted by. She wrote to me twice a week since I've been in incarcerated.

Her first letter sent to me; I will never forget. It was the most precious one that stood out. Finding I was going to become a father was mind blowing. I didn't expect it. Nerves and fear echoed with questions if I would be a good dad, but the doubts soon turned to joy and excitement that overwhelmed me.

The cell was smaller than the previous one given to me, so everything was within one step's reach. I walked to my desk, preparing to send my final letter to Lillie. Dappled light of the sun filtered through the small window above, providing the tiny cell daylight. Tiny specks of dust danced around, as I grabbed out the pen and paper out from beneath my crooked wooden desk.

I considered my last letter carefully. There was a lot to think about over these past twelve months and about the future. I wanted to start fresh. I knew fighting was off the table for me, but I could train like Raf or manage my own mechanic garage like Jose. The sky was the limit.

I glanced at the picture of Lillie holding Amber when she was born, stuck to the grey plastered wall. Regret spiked through me that I couldn't be there, but I shook the doubt away.

I smiled warmly. There was an important question to ask Lillie.

I put pen to paper and wrote.

Lillie love,

I can't believe this is my last letter to you from prison. I'm glad the time here has come to an end, and sad that our letters will stop. Thinking about you and Amber has kept me from going crazy.

We've been apart for months and months, and I can't describe how much I miss you, love, day and especially night. I can't get you off my mind. Your letters on my pillow keeps your perfume of your body and my senses go crazy just imagining you next to me. I wish I could hold you in my arms, gripping your waist, kiss you on your lips, touching your soft skin while staring into your pretty hazel eyes.

But don't worry, love, it will happen soon, and when I'll get home, I'll have you over and over again.

You made me a better man today. I can never fully thank you for the love and joy you brought into my life. You and my baby girl are my world, and I will do everything and anything to make you happy. To protect and provide for you both.

So, I thought I would write you this final letter. I don't know how to say the next words, so let me just be frank and ask you this,

Will you marry me? I want you to be my wife.

You don't have to answer me right away and take your time to respond.

Love,

Dimitri

I took a deep sigh. Hoping and praying it's a 'yes' from Lillie.

***

1 week later

Today is the last day in prison, but the first day of the rest of my life.

Freedom! This time, I felt fully free and alive. The prison guard escorted me, one final time, to a room with a front desk and a row of lockers behind it. I had finished up the paperwork and could collect my clothes and belongings that they took out of storage from day one here.

I signed out my clothes, collected my wallet and cellphone, and went to a bathroom to freshen up. I threw on the white shirt and black trousers I came in with a year ago. I was grateful. I didn't want Lillie to meet me in prison clothes.

I walked out the prison's office doors, not for the unknown, but with certainty.

I passed the iron gates to a wide, stretched parking lot. I placed my hand in front of my eyes, shielding my sight from the blinding light of the sun. Looking up, the blue sky was dotted with fluffy white clouds that drifted idly in the gentle breeze. It was a perfect afternoon.

I strolled forward, not bothering to look back behind me. Prison would never see me again.

I walked slowly, with both hands fidgeting in my pockets. I felt excitement and nerves poking at me. I strained my eyes to focus on the vision before it.

In a short distance stood Lillie smiling, her white dress swaying softly in the breeze, her brown curly hair hung low draping her shoulders. She was with Amber, my baby girl, sitting contently in her arms, grabbing at her mom's necklace.

It was picturesque, like a family picture I always wanted for myself and finally got. I wanted to hold this moment and let it engrave into my memory. My eyes brimmed with tears, a few escaping, and joy melted my heart.

As I approached the car rental they were standing at, Lillie smiled wide as her eyes lit up. I hugged Lillie tight, with our little angel in our arms, as I kissed on top of both their heads, nuzzling my face in between them. I held them close, not wanting to let go... never letting them go. Knowing the pain and danger was behind us.

Prison was behind me.

My fighting days were behind me.

My old life was behind me and everyone in it.

The two girls standing in front of me were my future, now and forever.

Small tears rolled down Lillie's smiling face as she whispered in my ear,

"Yes Dimitri, I'll be your wife..." she said tenderly, her eyes glistening.

I smiled and looked at her and knew this was the best day of my damn life!

~The End~

A/N

Thank you all so much for reading this story that holds a special place in my heart!

Sign up for my newsletter! Link in my bio.

For more Exclusive Bonus Chapters from Letters to Inmate, follow and subscribe on Ream. Link: https://reamstories.com/libbyj

Your support will be greatly appreciated.