Chapter 74

CHAPTER 74

Lillie

The silk felt like butter against my skin. I moved my hand from the sweetheart neckline to the midsection of the sleek dress. It flowed out effortlessly every time I twirled in my 3 inch rose gold heels.

The bridesmaid dress was unrecognizable, with a shade of deep green that complimented my skin tone, all traces of that hideous lime gone. The dress maker made alterations that made me feel and look like an absolute goddess.

I touched up my nude inspired makeup in the long length mirror in the bridal room and placed some baby breath flowers in my pinned-up hair, providing my look with a garden effect.

The bridal room was small and vintage looking, that looked like a tiny cottage from a children's storybook. I looked out at the wedding gardens through the tiny window, and I could see the wedding guests trickling in.

"Don't worry, Lil." Sassi said, winking at me. "You'll see Arthur again."

I sighed, not knowing if that was a good or bad idea.

Aunt Louis was putting on the finishing touches on mom's wedding dress. She looked breath taking all in lace as she played anxiously with her fingernails. I walked up to her, calming my mom's jittery nerves, not that I was the best person to give matrimonial advice. Gosh, I'll probably be just as nervous, and it's my mom's second time down the aisle.

We all walked out of the tiny cottage. The big moment had arrived. My mom and I walked hand in hand with Sassi and Aunt Louis behind in tow. We both held our small delicate bouquets, filled with orchards, lavender, and calla lilies.

The sun warmed my skin, and the refreshing breeze swayed through my dress. We walked on a tiny wooden bridge to the small garden filled with about fifty guests seated on white chairs. My mom wanted the wedding to be intimate and small.

Sassi and Aunt Louis went ahead and took their seats quickly, not before slipping my mom a quick two thumbs up. It was my turn to walk down the aisle. All eyes turned to me. I looked through the small crowd of guests all dressed elegantly, and Arthur, dressed in a dapper navy blue suit, sat in the far corner, catching my eye. I smiled shyly when he noticed me glancing at him.

I walked to the front, where Patrick was waiting with the minister. I took my wooden violin, tuned it, and started to play. The guests stood up simultaneously, a signal that my mom was about to enter.

All heads turned to my mother. She radiated classic beauty, her laced trailed behind her. She softly smiled, tearing up as she glanced at me, and then turned her gaze to Patrick. I almost lost it, breaking down on the spot. I've only ever seen my mother with my dad. After we lost him, I didn't think I would see her this happy again. She was practically beaming when she saw her future husband, who had glistening eyes.

I ended the violin on a pleasant and tender note and took a seat in the front row.

The ceremony was short and sweet, with touching moments in between. Sassi passed me a tissue as tears blinked out. Gosh, this week had been too emotional for my liking. But mom looked happy. Patrick made her happy, and that was all that mattered. So, I was delighted for her.

"I now pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. Towner." The minister called out. "You may now kiss the bride."

My mom and Patrick embraced in a sweet kiss as the guests applauded.

After the ceremony, everyone gathered in the garden drinking refreshments and eating hors d'oeuvres. It made me think about my own wedding one day, if that ever had to happen. Where would it be? When would it happen? And most important of all, who would I marry?