Chapter 56

CHAPTER 56

Lillie

It was a bright Saturday morning. The shower was refreshing; I got dressed and threw on a baggy jeans and shirt. I woke up despondent today but shook the feeling away.

Dimitri came home late last night, as expected. He said he was working at the garage, but as soon as he returned, he didn't come upstairs to me. I guessed he slept in the living room like before. It confused me. I enjoyed sleeping next to him. I liked the snuggles against his warm body, engulfing me in his scent.

I hadn't seen Dimitri since yesterday morning and hoped everything was okay. I walked down to the living room to check on him, but he wasn't there. The sleeper couch was folded up, and he neatly packed the bedding to the side. I frowned. I turned towards the kitchen and bumped into a wet, solid chest.

"Dimitri..." I said, flushed.

My eyes roamed his chiseled abs, glistening with water. His sculptured body, covered in beautiful tattoos, inked up his muscular arms and chest. My thirsty eyes roamed further down to his mid-section, leading to something enticing that was covered just with a towel. Heat sparked in that familiar place and it reminded me of when I first met Dimitri, how his rugged looks stunned me, just as it did now.

We have come full circle.

I met his intense eyes, his eyebrow raised. I blushed, seemingly caught ogling him.

"You didn't come up last night?" I said shyly, my cheeks still warm.

Dimitri smiled weakly. "I didn't want to disturb you. I came home so late." He said, avoiding my eyes.

"You know you could never disturb me," I said warmly.

He finally looked at me and smiled softly. He planted a gentle kiss on my forehead and embraced me in a tight hug. I hugged him back. He breathed in my freshly shampooed hair and I took in his herbal shower scent.

"I missed you last night," I whispered, my head still against his beating chest.

"I missed you too," he said just as softly.

I wanted to break the hug, but he held me still, like he never wanted to let go. I couldn't shake the feeling like something was wrong.

"Are you okay..." I said as I slowly pulled away.

He gulped and nodded lightly, giving me a tight smile.

We had a quick breakfast in the kitchen. I wanted to visit the market today and was happy and excited that Dimitri agreed to come with me. It gave us an opportunity to have some fun and maybe lighten his mood.

We drove in his old truck. He had been working on it and it sounded and felt much smoother, to my relief. I talked about all the stalls I wanted to see. Dimitri just nodded and smiled, but I could tell he was miles away. I wondered what weighed so heavily on his mind, but I didn't want to ask unnecessary questions.

We arrived at the busy flea market. The park was filled with people exploring various stalls, sitting down for picnics and strolling about. The atmosphere was pleasant and peaceful. The stalls looked colourful, as they lined up, side by side, front and back. The market had everything from arts and crafts to antiques to holiday decorations. I wanted to look at some art pieces and homemade jams.

Dimitri and I walked side by side, either holding hands or our arms interlocking. He looked interested in the toolboxes for a while, but quickly zoned out again. What was with him? If he didn't enjoy himself, he didn't show it much, though. He kissed me many times on the top of my head, providing comfort as we wandered about.