Chapter 78

CHAPTER 78

Lillie

Wear something beautiful tonight. Be ready at 6:30pm. A special surprise will be waiting! Wait for further instructions.

Dimitri sent the text message this morning, as I read it again. I kept thinking about it the whole day.

I sneaked into the red backless cocktail dress I was meant to wear for the girl's night out with Sassi but failed to. Finally, it will be worn and for Dimitri's eyes only. A dress he simply cannot resist.

I placed the dress carefully on the bed, admiring it and wondered what tonight will bring. Two days ago, I agreed to go on a date with Dimitri, and tonight was the night. I didn't know why I was so nervous. Maybe it's because we haven't been together alone for so long? Or we haven't actually been on an official date? Or the thought of him touching me again? Goosebumps whispered my skin as tingles danced through my body.

I breathed out.

I dried my freshly washed hair and styled it in a sleek look, taming my curls. I dropped the wet towel from my body and slipped in black laced lingerie. I walked to the long length mirror in my room, studying my reflection. Dimitri always made me feel confident in myself, remembering the way he looked at me, melting every insecurity. But tonight was different. I wanted to feel sexy and look it, too. I smirked at my silly thoughts creeping up on me, and bit my bottom lip, a familiar heat pooling between my legs.

OH NO! I shook my head hard. I needed to snap out of it. Remembering that Dimitri had to work for it. To earn it, dammit! This was his punishment, and I ought to see it through.

I peeked outside the window of the guest house to the quiet street below, careful not to show my half naked body. Not a car or person in sight. It was usually quiet this time of the day. The sun was setting, blushing the peeking night sky with orange and pinks.

I stayed a while longer in the small town of New Jersey, since things with Dimitri had developed.

Sassi and Trevor returned to Ashfield yesterday afternoon with my aunt. Mom and her new hubby embarked on their cruise straight after the wedding. I made an excuse to the principal requesting a couple of extra days' leave.

I considered the move to New Jersey. Nothing was keeping me in Ashfield any longer, and the change of cities might be good for me. I didn't want to admit it, now that there might be a future with Dimitri. I even took the step and applied for teaching positions here.

I was happy my ear infection was healing too; I took the medication for a couple of days now and it felt much better. Now nothing could bother me with my night with Dimitri.

I applied a bold cat eye with red daring lipstick. Hey, that's how I felt tonight, a sexy kitten. I slipped on my red cocktail dress that hugged my body and threw on a pair of black strappy high heels. I twirled around and checked myself in the mirror, as I dabbed Chanel no. 5 on both my wrists and the hollow and sides of my neck.

"Not bad." I mumbled to myself, smiling.

I couldn't believe I considered wearing this sexy piece for Arthur for our second date months ago. I was shocked and relieved at the same time about Arthur's behavior. I never seen him like that. Usually, he's so calm and composed. And I had no idea why Arthur would want to start a fight with a seasoned fighter. But I couldn't blame him either. It stung that I might have hurt him. But was glad the chapter of us was closed for good.

Damn, my date didn't even start yet, and I'm already feeling this giddy. I waited impatiently for Dimitri's text. He said to wait for his instructions for the date. I wondered what the man had up his sleeve. I meant it when I said he had to work for my affections and trust again. He didn't have to know right away, he already had it.

I wanted Dimitri; I chose him. For the first time in my life, I knew what my heart wanted.

The beep from my phone disrupted my thoughts.

***

The streets whizzed by as I looked out of the cab Dimitri sent for me.

Hop into the cab that will pull up by the guest house now, registration no: NMY132

That's all the message had said ten minutes ago.

I checked my watch. It was just after 7pm and nerves were building up inside me, muddled with excitement for the next text. I didn't know where the cab was taking me or how long it would take to get there. I guess I had to trust Dimitri.

Jeez, he's really taking this building trust seriously. I smiled in anticipation, checking my phone every thirty seconds.

It felt like forever driving in the cab, but the driver finally made progress. The city lights appeared and flashed beside me. The streets were busy with cars left and right and people walked by, filling the gaps. The night was a buzz with delight that excited me further, realizing I was back in New York City. But the cab didn't stop there. We went further uptown; the buzz faded into the background and the streets quieted down, as if someone turned down the volume.

The cab stopped. And my phone beeped with an incoming message.

Get out of the cab and walk up the avenue, to the streetlamp ahead, opposite the park. See you soon.

I climbed out of the cab, anticipation gripping me. I placed my leather sling bag over my shoulder and walked to the lonely streetlamp that led to a park. The night was warm and sweet, with a full moon reflecting a shimmer on the streets. It felt so perfect. Excitement sparked the air around me. I stood waiting for Dimitri's next instruction, looking to the right and left in the empty space, occupied only by a couple strolling by.

I glanced at my phone clutched tight between both hands. But no message came through. I looked to the right and saw Dimitri approaching from a short distance, dressed all in black, his shirt neatly tucked into his trousers. The top buttons on his shirt were undone with a sexy smirk on his handsome face.

He looked dashing; he was clean shaven, and looked absolutely delicious.

I gulped hard.

Dimitri came closer. I noticed a single red rose in his hand, the other hand lazily in his pocket as he strolled toward me.

Gosh, this man looked hot! I gulped again.

I saw a fading bruise under his left eye, but it gave him a dangerous and mysterious edge to him that was really setting me on fire.

My mouth became dry, from all the damn gulping!

Dimitri came closer, eyeing me up and down with his intense stare, drinking me in with my cocktail dress. Gosh, I hoped I looked good for him as he was looking to me. He bit his bottom lip and his smirk turned into a wicked grin. I erupted inside. Feeling suddenly very shy and very lightheaded.

"Wow, Miss Clarke... You look delicious tonight." Dimitri said in a low tone. "It seems like you're making this even harder for me not to eat you up."

I blushed and looked away as his eyes devoured me.

I playfully slapped him on the shoulder. "You're not so bad yourself, Mr. Hawke. You clean up pretty good."

He smiled sheepishly.

"Thanks for coming tonight Lillie... it really means a lot." He passed me the single rose and kissed me softly on the cheek. "I want to make this a night you will never forget." He whispered in my ear.

The heat ran through me, landing straight to my core once again. I scowled internally, my hormones clearly getting the better of me. If this carried on any longer, I would need a set of new panties.

The date didn't begin yet, and I was already unraveling!