Chapter 87

CHAPTER 87

Lillie

The pistol felt hot in my hands as I gripped it tight, my finger still glued to the trigger. My mind went blank as I stared at the lifeless body I had just shot in a pool of blood. I felt numb as my legs felt shaky, moments from giving in.

I had shot Big Ben, and I killed him.

I couldn't believe what I had just done. It felt like a dream. A horrible nightmare. Dimitri took so long to come back home. I was worried. I had to check up on him at the club. I never held a gun before in my life. But seeing Dimitri in this position. I didn't know what to do. I was afraid!

My emotions were all over the place as I couldn't come to terms what just happened.

Dimitri rushed to me, his one hand on the side of his body, blood dripping from it. Concern in his eyes as he approached. He's hurt. Dimitri's hurt!

Dimitri dragged the gun from my trembling hands that suddenly went limp. And placed it carefully on the floor.

"You're hurt..." My voice wasn't above a whisper, as my hand reached for Dimitri's bleeding side.

"I'm okay, don't worry about it, I'll survive." he said, his voice distressed.

I lifted my hand up, and his blood was stained on it. Tears spilled from my eyes uncontrollably. I couldn't stop it and I didn't want to either, as the full gravity of what I had done hit me.

Dimitri took me and held me tight in his firm grip. I feebly held onto him, too weak to fully grip his arms. I sobbed in his chest, my tears staining his grey t-shirt. He hugged me, not letting go.

"Your w-w-wound?" I stuttered, struggling to get the words out. "I just saw blood. You were on the f-f-floor with Big Ben holding a gun..." I swallowed down hard the bile that rose in my throat. "I thought he was going to k-k-kill you. I panicked."

"Shooo, shooo." Dimitri whispered. "It's okay Lillie love. It's okay."

Dimitri's fingers ran through my hair as he held me harder against him. "Big Ben refused the money. He didn't want to end the contract; he was never planning on letting me go. For all I know, he wanted to kill me for trying to get out." he explained. "It's not your fault Lillie. Please never think that. And I'm so sorry you caught up in this shit." He said, his eyes glistening.

I looked at him, my tears slightly subsiding.

"I'm going to jail, am I?" I asked, my body shaking. Dimitri held me steady.

"No Lillie love, you won't be going to jail," he said tenderly. He looked at me knowingly. "I am."

My eyes snapped to Dimitri's and frowned. "Why you Dimitri? You didn't shoot and kill Big Ben."

Dimitri smiled weakly, clutching his side. I winced. "We need to get you to a doctor." I said.

Dimitri shook his head. "Not yet. We need to get our story straight first."

I frowned.

"I'm taking the fall for the shooting. I got the gun and shot Big Ben in self-defense. You came after, and he was already dead. Okay?" Dimitri said slowly.

I shook my head. "Are you insane? You can't do that. You're on parole, Dimitri. They might give you a long sentence. This won't be your first offence." I pleaded, my eyes brimming with tears again.

Dimitri sighed. "It's better me than you, Lillie. I'm built for prison, whatever outcome happens. There's no way in hell I'm letting you go to jail." He breathed.

"Was there anybody outside the office or in the club?" Dimitri asked.

I shook my head. "No, I didn't see anybody."

Dimitri nodded. "That's good."

He held my face in the palm of his hands. A tear fell down on my cheek and Dimitri wiped it away with his thumb.

He smiled tenderly at me and kissed me on the forehead. "Don't worry, love. Everything will be okay."

"I don't know anymore..." I whispered. The tears welled up as I fought down a lump in my throat.

He brought my tear-stained face close to his and pressed his lips against mine in a slow, gentle kiss. Tears rolled down once more from my eyes, soaking our kiss.

I felt physically sick.

He brought his forehead against mine. It felt damp and cool. We both closed our eyes, holding the moment, as we heard the sirens from a distance.