Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Lillie

I was more confused between Dimitri and Arthur than ever.

It's been almost a week since our kiss that I shouldn't have let happen. Dimitri and I didn't take things any further. It all seems that I would never take things further with either guys. I kept things casual between us after that. I guess I distanced myself, remembering Roxanne calling him.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if things had really ended between her and Dimitri. Roxanne made it quite clear things hadn't. I decided it would be best to not be romantic with him, it would just complicate things.

I remembered his kiss. It was desperate and fiery, completely searing that set my body on fire. He was rough and demanding, grabbing me like he wanted to consume me whole. I knew it was a bad idea to kiss Dimitri, but I couldn't help it. The tug inside me pulled towards him, a tug that was growing slowly stronger each day. I willed myself to ignore it.

I sighed.

Arthur, on the other hand, was completely different, soft and gentle, but yet controlled and firm. He was patient and sweet with me. And when he touched me, his warmth melted me into him.

I shook my head. This wasn't the time to think about Dimitri or Arthur. Tonight was the concert, and I was getting ready for it.

***

I arrived at the opera house. It was an enormous building in the middle of town. People streamed through and queued outside. It was one of the biggest classical musical events held right here in Ashfield.

I was jittery all day. Dimitri was the whole day at work, which I was thankful for. The constant violin practice would have probably unhinged him. I jogged up to the entrance, showed my entrance card to the usher and headed inside.

The opera house looked like it came out of a Renaissance magazine. It had a grand marble staircase leading up to the auditorium, the hall was filled with paintings and sculptures by great European artists of the 19th century. Looking around made the nerves ball up into knots in my stomach. I felt slightly woozy. I fixed the hem of my black dress and tightened my black pantyhose.

With my violin case in hand, I took the grand stairs, my black heels clicking against the cold marble. I took care not to slip. I walked backstage in a huff and flustered from all the excitement.

I scanned the bustling floor of the backstage; people bumped on the right side of me and pushed on the right. It was completely frantic of coordinators, musicians and orchestra members getting ready for the big show. Trying to catch a break from the crowd of people, I walked to the main stage and peeked through the heavy red velvet curtains.

I've been here two days ago for rehearsals, but seeing it tonight felt so alive. Inside, the hall was beautiful to the eye. The walls were laced with gold and deep red trimmings. The stage was big enough for an orchestra, giving the ultimate acoustic experience. The auditorium where the audience sat, were filling up fast. I scanned to see if Sassi and my mom had arrived yet. I took another glance to see if Dimitri was here. I had left him a ticket for the concert, and I wasn't sure if he'll pitch up.

A gentle hand jerked me out of my thoughts. I turned to see Arthur's hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, there you are." He said, beaming. "We're looking for you. Kenny wants a quick meeting."

He looked handsome tonight, dark and mysterious in his black shirt and trousers. His golden hair was neatly sleeked back.

He took my hand and led the way through the frantic people, earning him a few envious stares from women as we passed by. We walked away from the bustle, to a door that said '4-string quartet' written on a whiteboard.