Chapter 60

CHAPTER 60

Lillie

6 months later

"Alright class, we're done for today... don't forget to bring your essays tomorrow." I said, my voice clogged up, dismissing my 4th graders.

The bell for home time rang, and I sighed in relief. I glanced at the pile of assessments on my desk, waiting to be graded. It made my stuffy head more achy just thinking about it.

As the continued sniffles plugged my red nose, I blinked my watery eyes. I leaned back in the chair. The ginger tea turned into a tiny whirlpool as I swirled it with a spoon in my teacup. I stared at it, hoping it would relieve my congested head cold as my mind drifted away.

The weeks dragged throughout the bitter winter. The coldest winter I experienced in a long time, and grateful it was ending as spring peeked through.

After Dimitri's letter, I never heard from him again. I often thought of how he was doing, or what he was doing now. I hoped he was taking care of himself and his parole, and not getting into trouble. I missed him very much, but I knew life had to carry on without him. The pain I felt melted away to a dull ache that endured in my heart.

It was difficult to get back on track in the beginning, but after a few weeks, I got into the swing of things and my old life resurfaced. A life that seemed alone again. I got used to it then, so I just had to get used to it now. But I struggled, forcing my mind not to think about him.

The holidays brought big changes, especially for the people I cared about. Patrick, the man my mother was secretly dating, popped the question to her over Christmas eve dinner. To my surprise, my mom said yes, too. I got to know Patrick a little. All I could tell is that he was a pretty decent guy. But thinking of my mom as an engaged woman was strange, to say the least.

Sassi found her man, too. They are going steady for a full four months now. I'm shocked she could commit like that. But I was happy for both of them, they seemed to be with the loves they were truly happy with.

As for me, I was back to dating sites and blind dates that my mom or Sassi wanted to set me up on, some without even my knowledge. I shook my head hard and took a sip of my warm green tea, as if I had agreed to go on any of those random dates, anyway. NO THANK YOU!

My front door and living room were fixed months ago, thanks to the insurance company and to Dimitri's check. The living room looked even better than before since I replaced everything. I replaced the green with a plush brown and tan sofa set, which unfortunately, included a loveseat.

Bringing in the New Year, I was alone with a box of Chinese food and only pebbles to keep me company, dreading what this year would bring me. Obviously, Valentine's Day was the loneliest. I hated to wallow in self-pity, but I couldn't help it. Dammit!

I sighed deeply. I had to get a damn grip of myself. The world did not end, Lillie!

An hour had passed, and I managed to grade twenty assessments. I packed up my basket and headed out of the classroom. My phone rang in my back pocket jeans, that felt slightly baggy on me, thanks to all the lack of appetite I suffered. I got it out and saw my mom calling.

"Hi Mom..." I breathed out, walking to my car.

"Hey sweetie... How are hun?"

"Good as I can be, Mom. How are you?" I replied.

"Never better... Guess where's the wedding gonna be?" she said, cutting to the chase.

"Where...? Ashfield?" I said, confused.

"Nah ah... New Jersey," she said, a smile in a voice.

I frowned. "New Jersey?"

"Yip, Patrick's from there, so we'll be having the wedding there when I move in with him."

"YOU MOVING TO NEW JERSEY?!" I yelled, not meaning to.

"Ouch! Honey, my ear... and yes, I already transferred jobs starting from next month."

I frowned, biting my lip. I wasn't so sure I wanted my mom to move so far away from me, gosh; I didn't even know if I wanted my mom to marry this guy at all.

"Okay." Was all I could to get out.

"Don't worry hun, things won't change between us. I'm just getting married and moving further away." She said. Yeah, those are minor changes, I selfishly thought.

"I want you to be my bridesmaid!" She chirped out.

"Oh... uhm... well... sure." I said, stuttering the words out. What could I say? I was her daughter. I had to agree to this. And I was happy for my mom, right?

"That's great Lillie... I'm so happy, so excited, I already started wedding arrangements and it's gonna happen pretty soon." She continued.

"Like how soon?" I asked, afraid of her answer, hoping it was not too soon.

"In two weeks!!!" she screamed. I had to pull the phone slightly from my ear. I stopped at my car, taking her words in.

"So, I suggest you make plans to come down here to New Jersey, little missy. We got a whole lot to do! Gotta go sweetie, chat soon." She said and hung up, leaving me speechless.