17th January 1975

I am so sorry, Ellie.

You must be going through so much and have more than enough to think about, but I just wanted to write so you know I'm thinking of you. Marlene is too.

I can't imagine how you must be feeling and I hope you are as well as you can be.
You're not entirely missing anything here, apart from homework and studying, I guess. I'm sure Dumbledore will have something in place for you to be able to catch up when you return. I doubt you'll have much trouble with it. The dorm feels very empty with you gone. Even though most nights you're with the boys, this time it just feels different. It's important you take the time you need to grieve though and I send all the love and hugs possible.

You don't have to reply, I don't expect you to prioritise me, that would be selfish. Your family need you now.

Stay strong, like I know you are.

Lots of love,
Lily

And Marlene sends her condolences too xx

•••

Lily and Marlene,

It means a lot to know that you are thinking of me, and I miss you both dearly, for it is times like these when you realise how good of friends you really have.

I apologise for not replying sooner, but I haven't been up to much, and have only just brought myself to open the letters I have been sent.
Don't worry Lily, Dumbledore has me continuing my studies at home for now, and if I need it, you can tutor me personally - there wouldn't be one Hogwarts professor that could teacher the content better. Besides maybe Minnie, of course.
And Marlene, you don't need to worry either, I'm not bored, nor am I becoming some form of recluse, I will emerge back into society looking like you remembered me. Whenever that may be.

Spending time on my own has been helpful in clearing my head, there's not a lot that goes on up there now beside pretty paintings, but I will see you both again, don't think I won't. Right now, I just want to do as I please and heal in my own way, and luckily, I have space to do that.

I will see you soon, and one again, I miss you both so much.

Lots of love,
Ellie