Chaos and chickens

Despite their seemingly constant arguments, Ellie and Sirius still shared a bed. It helped that James had forced them to hug and somewhat make up last night, because as ridiculous as it was, it managed to dissolve some tension. The handsome boy had been reluctant to ask whether Ellie would stay with him, panicked by what nightmares might strike if she didn't, but when she climbed into his bed without a word he'd relaxed completely. It took a lot for their sleeping routine to be thrown off, especially when the beautiful girl had started to realise how much more peacefully Sirius slept when they were together.

However, there was nothing peaceful about the way they slept that night, nor how they woke up either.

Like normal, James stirred first, and from there, it didn't take long for the dorm to descend into panic. As soon as his glasses were on and eyes adjusted, he was screaming. Blood-curdling, gut-wrenching screams that tore through the whole of Gryffindor tower. He stumbled to get out of bed so frantically, his knees gave way and he slumped to the floor in a helpless heap.

The rest of his friends were awake in seconds, all features drained completely of colour as James began to sob hysterically, his wails becoming slowly more guttural. In his overwhelmed state, he failed to notice Ellie and Sirius shoot up, and if he had, there perhaps wouldn't have been so much chaos, but instead, the messy haired boy was already grieving for friends he'd not lost.

Ellie practically fell out of bed immediately, crawling across the floor to James and taking him in her arms as fast as possible. He froze momentarily, his hands fumbling for her face as if he couldn't believe she was actually there, vision still blurred from tears. She rocked him carefully as they clung to each other, shutting her eyes tight as she placed comforting kisses to the top of his head, unable to mutter even just one word.

No one needed to ask why James was hysteric. For stabbed right in the middle of Sirius' mattress, exactly in between where him and Ellie had lay, was the Sword of Gryffindor, sharp blade shining in the morning sun.

Every single Gryffindor, from every single year had congregated in the common after their harrowing wake up call. Some first years had ran there crying whilst the seventh years all tried to account for everyone, the Head Boy and Prefects being sent for Professor McGonagall straight away. There was complete chaos, and in all the confusion, five students were forgotten in the head count.

When their Head of House finally arrived, she tried to get someone to make sense of the commotion, but everyone was a quivering wreck, terrified by the screams that had woken them all. There had never been wails like them, and still, no one knew who'd they'd come from.

"Is everyone here?" McGonagall asked Fraser Buchanan, Head Boy, swiftly, her eyes scanning the crowds.

"Everyone has said that their dorm-mates are all here, so we think so."

"First year boys raise your hands!" McGonagall cried, making the whole common room fall silent. Six hands shot into the air immediately, "First year girls!"

She went through like that with all the year groups, making sure everyone was there for herself. The Gryffindor Head of House wasn't someone easily shaken, but her heart was thumping wildly in her chest as her eyes stayed wide and unblinking. She was sure even she'd heard whoever it was that had shrieked.

"Sixth year girls!" Only Lily raised her hand and McGonagall's face paled beyond sheet white, "Sixth year boys!" Her voice was more frantic this time, striding through the crowds slightly to make sure she wasn't just missing them, "Sixth year boys! Ellie Gryffin!"

No one's hands were raised, and a wave of dread washed over everyone.

"I need you to go and get Professor Dumbledore." McGonagall turned to Fraser Buchanan, "And Madam Pomfrey too. No one is going to leave this common room whilst I-" She was cut off at the sound of footsteps descending the boys' dormitory stairs.