Brothers

"This is stupid."

"You're stupid."

"I'm telling you, this won't work."

"It will!"

"She'll hex us when she finds out."

"She wouldn't risk being expelled."

"She'd make an exception for you."

Two black haired boys hoisted themselves over the crumbling brick wall and into the small garden. Nothing but light from the moon illuminated them, making it difficult to see where they were going to land and one of them went tumbling into a rose bush. Panicking and leaping up, trying to avoid getting any thorns stuck in him, the messiest haired boy almost leaped into the other's arms. For a moment he was a fumble of limbs flying everywhere and it was a miracle it didn't alert any suspicion. His glasses crooked and thoroughly wounded from the prickly plant, he grumbled, but still wasn't deterred.

They were going to see her tonight, that decision was final.

Sporting a leather jacket, the other boy pushed his friend away from him, silently telling him to pull himself together. If he were able to see better, he would've given him a swift hit over the back of the head, but his friend wasn't actually properly visible, as the plants around them blocked what little light there was. This hadn't been his plan, he'd much preferred to have stayed back at the house and gone running in the woods. Yet instead he found himself beside his clumsy comrade, squished between some trees and a moss-covered wall. Not ideal to say the least.

He should probably know better than to trust his best friend to come up with a plan that wouldn't pose difficult, in fact, he did know not to trust him. However, he'd still let himself be convinced into taking the Knight Bus to Cokeworth, thus why he was now standing in the garden of Lily Evans' home.

"Can't you just wait? You'll see her on the train in little over a week. I'm pretty sure trespassing is still a crime in the Muggle world." Sirius grumbled.

James had so desperately wanted to see the so-called love of his life, that they'd took the long journey to go to her house. They hadn't been invited, nor would they probably be welcomed by the red head, but they were there now, and James wasn't turning back. The messy haired boy ignored his best friend, trying to see through the tree branches at whether the lights were on in the windows or not. They weren't and he sighed in relief. It was one thing seeing Lily, but he wouldn't know how to explain himself if her parents saw him too. Having completely ignored the fact he had no idea which bedroom window would be Lily's or how to get her attention in the first place, James had been blinded by his affections after one too many shots of firewhisky. The liquor which always sent him wild.

Sirius followed James' lead as they both snuck around the rose bush and between a couple of red robin trees. The garden path wasn't exactly visible, and so the messy haired boy kept his footsteps really cautious, careful not to end up trampling any flower beds. Keeping close behind, Sirius was a lot less stealthy, stomping around in his combat boots without a care. Something that earned him many warning shoves from James.

Just as they got extremely close to the house, no life visible inside, suddenly a light in one of the downstairs rooms turned on. Both boys froze, James' eyes going wide, a deer in headlights. The lock to the patio door clicked, and they sprinted for the side of the house to dart out of sight, chests heaving and hearts pounding.

"Mittens!" The croaky voice of an old lady sounded, "Mittens is that you out there my sweet?"

Sirius held his finger up to his lips, actually being able to see James now there was some light spilling around the corner they were hiding against, wanting to make sure the messy haired boy knew that they couldn't be caught.