Dogs

"How long has it been?"

"Two minutes since you last asked."

"And how long's that?"

"Fifteen minutes."

Four of the five Marauders huddle behind a large rock a little way away from the Whomping Willow. They couldn't see that well in the dark, but the full moon sat high in the sky by now, which allowed for enough light to just about see the tree in the distance. The only sound was James repeatedly asking for updates on the time, impatient as ever to go and be by Moony's side, but the half an hour wasn't up yet - breaking the ground rules put in place by Remus the first time they ever did this, would undoubtedly set the wrong tone.

They'd seen Madam Pomfrey aid their friend down the passageway retreating back up to the castle swiftly and had been waiting ever since until it was time for them to transform and head down there too. Watching Remus suffer all day had perhaps been even more frustrating than normal, because they knew there was potentially something they could do about it. All that they'd worked for in becoming Animagi was for him, and each and every one of them wanted nothing more than to do the best they could to make the night better.

To say they'd all been buzzing with anticipation would be an understatement, but everyone for different reasons too. James was more than eager to be able to help; Peter was absolutely terrified he might be eaten; Ellie was just worried for what injuries Remus might come out with; and Sirius was already sat as a scruffy black dog.

Padfoot had been constantly whining, nudging Ellie in the arm every so often for attention, rather annoyingly in her opinion. He wanted her to transform too, but they didn't need to yet and so she'd been refusing. This hadn't gone down well, and on multiple occasions he'd threatened to bark loudly in her face, which could then potentially give their hiding spot away. He'd growl in protest and Ellie would glare at him, flicking his nose when he got too rude. Eventually, Padfoot took a different approach, but one that wasn't any less annoying, and along with James' incessant time checks, the beautiful girl wanted to tear her hair out.

Bowing his head as his tail dropped in between his legs, the scruffy black dog crept onto her lap, squishing himself as close to Ellie as he could. Giving her one of his paws, he cocked his head to the side as his ears flattened against his head.

"You are not the right size to be a lap dog Padfoot. You're gonna crush me." Ellie complained as she grabbed a hold of his paw hanging limply in the air, he just grumbled some more, "Be patient, it's not long until we need to go and see Moons." Before she was able to shove him off, Padfoot's tail had started wagging and he licked her cheek excitedly. Ellie's features scrunched up with mild disgust as she wiped her face on her sleeve, "That's gross, please don't do that again."

Padfoot huffed as he slumped into a sit.

Not very much later, it was time for them to venture down the passageway, slow and cautiously, but with enthusiasm all the same. Prongs led the way, for he was the biggest after all and had antlers good for deterring any attack, but Wormtail had been allowed to sit on top of his head so that he could keep up - whilst the rat was fast, his little legs came as a disadvantage. Jostling and wrestling as they went, the two scruffy dogs were at the back, not paying much attention to the fact that they were running into the den of a Werewolf, growling playfully at each other. Only when Cubby went crashing into the back of Prongs' legs, did they actually sober up from elation.

Even just at the end of the tunnel, they could hear the scuffling about of something within the Shrieking Shack, and every now and then a thump as if it were throwing itself against the walls.

All four animals shared concerned looks, none of them having really thought through how they were just going to waltz in on Moony, and so Prongs led the way carefully. Navigating stairs as a stag was rather difficult, but he managed, trying to ignore the fact that Wormtail was quivering on top of his head. Behind them, both scruffy dogs moved even slower, their feet not making a sound on the floorboards, hoping not to spook the poor Werewolf upstairs.