We're often left confused

The new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher didn't have a name any of the Marauders could remember. With them getting a new teacher for the subject on a yearly basis, they'd all stopped taking note of who the Professor was, and just focused on the lesson instead. The inconsistency over the years made it difficult to keep up sometimes, but everyone seemed to manage okay as long as you kept your head down and did extra work outside of lessons - which of course only some of the Marauders did.

After Transfiguration, DADA was James' favourite subject, and with him having prospects to be an Auror after Hogwarts, he had to take the subject seriously. He excelled with flying colours and Lily often found herself jealous when she wasn't as successful at spells as him. Remus worked hard too, for he just wanted good grades, and the subject was an interesting one (providing they weren't learning about werewolves that was). And as ever, Peter struggled to keep up, so he could use all the help he could get. However, it was no surprise that Ellie and Sirius hardly even listened. The pair still got good grades regardless, making it rather frustrating for everyone who had to work extra hard to be as good as them.

Like most of the rest of their lessons, they whispered at the back of the classroom, sat on the same table. James and Peter sat together in front of them, whilst Remus sat with Lily in front of them - that way Ellie and Sirius could be left to do their own thing without disturbing the others that wanted to work.

Scribbling on a scrap piece of parchment, Sirius elbowed Ellie in the side for her attention. They'd already been caught chatting three times, resulting in twenty points being taken from Gryffindor, and so now they had to be more discreet. The Professor was waffling away about something neither of them were paying attention to as the rest of the class listened intently, but Sirius still had something he wanted to ask the beautiful girl. Ellie watched his quill swirl his letters together in elegant cursive, admiring how perfect his handwriting was, as he swooped his hair out of his face with his other hand. Once he was finished, he slid the parchment over to her with a grin.

It's a third day - Jamie's asking Evans to the ball again later. Success or failure?

Ellie snorted unattractively, earning her an unimpressed look from the Professor, but thankfully he let it go and continued talking. Dipping her own quill in her ink pot, she began her reply, shielding it from Sirius who was trying to read as she wrote her response. She kicked him under the table when he wouldn't be patient.

Do you see Lily's hair? That's an I-mean-business bun. She's in a shit mood. Failure for sure.

Leaning to look in between James and Peter, he eyed the red head carefully, and Lily definitely looked as if she was scribbling away more furiously than normal. When the Professor asked the class a question, her hand shot up in the air faster than anyone's, but someone else was called upon, and Lily slammed her hand back down on the table a little too hard. Remus jumped slightly, as he shuffled away from her.

Ye of little faith. But she does look pissy.

Sirius didn't need to write the words for Ellie to know he was wondering what was up with the red head, and so she wrote her reply quickly. Whilst Lily hadn't specifically said what the matter was, Ellie and Marlene had both noticed her foul mood the last couple of days, and they could guess what the matter was.

She's arguing with Sniv. Something about his plans after we graduate. I think she's just worried about him, but he's probably being a git.

He's always a git. This could be good though, if she's not friends with him anymore. Jamie might be in with a chance.