Rearrange the stars

Phase one was in commence.

Draped in the Invisibility Cloak, James and Peter stumbled their way to the greenhouses. It was late and if they were caught out of bed, they'd only be landed in another detention with Filtch, not to mention what would happen if they were found stealing from Herbology. The smallest Marauder had gone with James to act as a look out, whilst the messy haired boy got what they needed. Everything was riding on them succeeding with this, for without phase one being a success, their dreams of being able to help Remus swirled down the drain like dirty dish water.

Four mandrake leaves, that was all they needed.

The boy this whole operation revolved around had taken to bed early, as sick as he always was the night before a full moon. Every bone in his body ached and his soul yearned to be released from the inevitable torture to come. Skin burning constantly, Remus feared that he might set ablaze any second, a part of him wanting to desperately drown in the flames.

Managing to drag himself to lessons during the day, the lanky boy now had no more energy left to fight his pain. Curled in a ball of his duvet, squeezing his eyes tight shut to prevent the tears that threatened to spill, and pleading with himself to just fall asleep, Remus wished he could drift into a peaceful slumber. Lost in a place where he felt no pain, and he didn't have to worry about what tomorrow evening would bring. Yet, the monster within fought against his cries of mercy. It was as if the creature was clawing at his insides, trying to crush his bones, taunting him with howls of joy.

The moon tormented him. Its light casting shapes across the room that looked like demons snaking through the night. They were waiting. One more day and they'd have him wrapped in chains. One more day and all hell would break loose.

Ellie had been worried since they'd got up that morning, for Remus had seemed even more ill than he usually did.

It was the one time of the month when she tried extra hard in lessons - when they all tried extra hard in lessons. After finding out about Remus their second year, the other four Marauders vowed to cover for him when it was 'his time of the month'. A phrase Ellie thought was completely inappropriate for the circumstance and had gotten them all very curious looks whenever people heard them say it in conjunction with the lanky boy. However, it had become quite amusing in recent years.

The only lesson they couldn't cover for Remus was Arithmancy since none of them took the subject, but he assured them one subject's notes missing wouldn't do much harm. The least the friends could do, they were all completely happy to agree to the arrangement.

Sirius and Ellie were the only ones left in the common room at the late hour. The beautiful girl sat on the floor, endeavouring to continue with the drawing up of the map she'd started in the week, whilst the handsome boy sprawled lazily on the sofa behind her. Fire crackling, they waited for James and Peter to return from their mission, the golden glow of the room lulling them into peace. Having nothing other to do, Sirius found himself studying the back of her head, her hair cascading down like a melted chocolate waterfall.

He couldn't remember the last time it had just been the two of them, alone and undisturbed.

Despite not being able to see her face, Sirius knew the exact expression Ellie would be pulling as she hunched over the parchment on the floor. Biting her lip in concentration and eyebrows scrunched together, her head cocked to the side as she eyed the open books surrounding where she sat. Effortlessly perfect, Sirius could watch her all day.

"How's it going?" He asked curiously when he noticed her drawing seeming to cease for a while.

"I know you want me to finish this fast, but it gets quite boring after a while." Turning her head to face him, Ellie answered Sirius' question with a sigh, "I'm going to call it a night."