Compromised positions

t.w. sexual assault

James' first Quidditch match as Captain couldn't have come at a worse time - the day of the full moon. They were all desperate to stay with their friend as he curled up in his bed all day, hardly able to string a sentence together. It was a bad one, and the guilt of having to leave him behind ate the others up.

But there was nothing that could be done, James' obsession with the sport and his unconditional love for his friends waging a war inside his head. Remus hadn't been this ill before a full moon in months, but Gryffindor needed their players, and the messy haired boy had a lot to prove this game.

He'd never worked harder towards anything, except perhaps the Animagus project, meticulously planning practices and game strategies, using all the knowledge he'd collected from watching Joseph Wood and Darren Wayne as the Captains before him. The team looked better than they had in years, and Ellie and Sirius were more than proud, willing to follow any tactic their best friend threw at them. Something new to the pair when they were used to just doing their own thing out on the pitch.

    "And remember, just keep moving." James had never had to give a proper speech before, but he covered his nerves well as he finished his last-minute pep talk to his team in the tunnel, "What do the snakes do?"

    "Play dirty!" The whole team chorused.

    "That's right, so what are we gonna do?"

    "Clean up the filth." Ellie and Sirius' enthusiastic cheers were louder than anyone's, but the team were definitely riled up.

The House Cup would be theirs this year, they were determined to make it so.

    "How are you feeling, Ryder?" James called to the back of the organised line.

Antony Ryder was only a fourth year and built like a twig, and a risk had been taken in giving him Darren Wayne's old spot as Keeper. Usually, the Keepers were made like brick walls and the biggest on the team, but Antony looked like he may be knocked flying by just the quaffle coming at him too fast. However, in try-outs, he'd proved himself the best of the bunch, swift and nimble in catching the quaffle to keep it in play as opposed to being large enough to block the hoops.

    "Never been better, Cap!" The fourth year called, clapping his gloved hands together as he tried to keep himself warm.

    "And Longbottom?"

Alice's boyfriend, Frank, had filled the last Chaser spot now that Mable Munro graduated last year, and the three Marauders in particular had become very fond of him. He was a great team player and always had valuable insight to share from spending years studying all the Quidditch matches he'd watched. Perhaps as enthusiastic about the sport as James was, the messy haired boy hadn't had to think twice when Frank had shown up at the try-outs.

    "Ready to humiliate Slytherin for sure!" He grinned, giving a confident thumbs up.

    "Podmore, North, play as well as you did last year and you won't let me down." James nodded at his final Chaser and Seeker, "And children..." Ellie and Sirius were last to be addressed with the biggest smiles yet, "Make Mama proud."

    "Aye, aye, Captain!" They both saluted.

The Gryffindor stands had never roared so loud when James' name was announced at the beginning of the match, and it melted all of his nerves in seconds. Arrogance and confidence took over quickly as he sped laps around the pitch, Ellie and Sirius flanking his sides as they swung their Beater's bats ready. The rest of the team all flew to their places in the air, the crowds cheering louder and louder, awaiting the Slytherins' arrival, and James made his way down to the grass where Madam Hooch stood with her whistle in hand. Ellie and Sirius continued circling, darting around each other and clashing their bats together like swords, completely unaware that their rival team had come swooping onto the pitch.