Good things fall apart

"How are you?" Lamar asked as soon as she stepped out of the fireplace into their flat, but Nicolas was first to get to hug her.

"How are you and Sirius?" He asked.

Ellie hadn't even had a chance to breath or smile, let alone say hi, and the couple were already bombarding her with questions. It was the first time she'd visited since the last full moon, and whilst they'd been writing back and forth, it was clear that they'd been worrying about her regardless, so she chuckled and hugged Lamar too.

"I'm fine, everything's fine, me and Sirius are fine." It was the truth, but Ellie wished she could've said that things were even better.

"And you've moved in with him alright? You're not arguing again or anything?" Lamar wanted to make sure.

"Things have been a bit strange, sure, but like I say, we're okay."

"Good." Nicolas nodded. "Rab should be here soon, we'll give you some space when he arrives."

The couple didn't know why Ellie needed to meet Rabastan, and they didn't ask either, but they were generously willing to provide the space for them to do so. Whilst they waited for him to arrive, they caught up, had a smoke, listened to Nicolas complain about how every acting audition he went to felt rigged. Ellie was glad of the distraction, for the day was going to be a heavy one.

She had been worrying about the state that she'd find Rabastan in, but when he emerged from the fireplace looking as she knew him to be, some form of weight was lifted, and he hugged her like he hadn't been hugged for years. Lamar and Nicolas excused themselves into the bedroom, so they sat down on the sofa in a strange silence that neither of them knew how to break. Rabastan might've seemed alright, but when Ellie looked at him closer, really stared into his eyes, she saw his exhaustion, the constant state of panic he was living in, so she took a hold of his hand.

"I still sneak out to see Léa, she's the perfect escape, but I panic that someone's going to find out about her, and then what?" He said eventually - their hug had been their hellos.

"Just keep being careful." Ellie told him gently, though it didn't quite feel as simple as that. "Camille's funeral is today, later on, afterwards is my first Order fo the Phoenix meeting."

"How are you feeling about it?"

Ellie just shrugged.

They were dancing around the real reason they'd met up and they both knew it, so she took a deep breath and asked.

"Will you show me?"

Rabastan took his hand from hers and rolled up his sleeve. There, inked on his brown skin like the most precise tattoo, was what she knew to be the dark mark. He was past the point of no return now, he'd supposedly pledged his allegiance, he had a role to play, and the reality of it was horrific. Eighteen, Rabastan was only the year above Ellie, and he'd made this dangerous decision to try and help the likes of the Order win this war. The Lestranges may have always be Slytherin, but he was one of the bravest Gryffindors she knew. And he was doing it all in secret, not for the fame of being the hero or to become a martyr, just simply because he knew it was the best thing he could do to help.

Carefully, he let Ellie graze her fingertips over the coiling snake tattoo.

"Did it hurt?" She asked.

"It stung for a week afterwards. I've never known magic like it."

"And that's what we're up against. Spells we've never encountered, powerful wizards that can't be defeated."

"We will defeat him." Rabastan declared, "We must."   

"We will try." That was all Ellie could promise.