24th January 1975

I'm looking after James and Sirius for you, don't worry.

And I know you'll be worrying because you argued with the long haired fool before you left, but he's really sorry. He'll probably tell you himself.

I'd like to say I'm missing you, but quite frankly, I'm getting a lot of reading done. All your loudness is gone and it's made everywhere a lot more peaceful. There's also been no crazy pranks being pulled, so I feel that my life has lulled into a happy stillness. Whether that is a good thing or not, I'm still trying to decide.

Though I do miss your ridiculous laugh, I really do. Your hugs as well, but you mustn't tell the others, they'll think I've gone soft.

James and Peter said they were sending you things, so I put in one of my sweaters, hoping it'll give you some form of comfort in these dark times. It's a deep ugly yellow, more of a mustard really, but reminds me of the sun - happiness and optimism. I doubt you'll like it, but I thought you'd appreciate it more than if I sent you a book. Besides, you probably need something to brighten up your day and if the sweater does nothing but make you laugh at how ugly it is, then that's enough.

I know you won't be, not fully at least, but please write to tell me you're okay.

Settle this poor werewolf's worries,
Your Moony

•••

I miss you more than words can express.

Collecting my thoughts is proving very difficult without you there to be logical, and even though i'm constantly surrounded by peace, I really don't feel calm. Not calm like I am with you.

This ugly mustard jumper is helping though, and in fact, I've grown to like it very much. I've only had it on for two seconds, but I know already I won't be taking it off, and you won't be getting it back either. Its ugliness is actually somewhat beautiful and I can understand what you mean about it reminding you of the sun. It reminds me of the sun too. Definitely better than a book.

You say you miss my hugs? Well, that's a first. Remus John Lupin, openly expressing he likes physical contact with other humans (I have it it writing too, so there's no taking it back). I'm honoured its my hugs in particular - you better be careful or someone might think you're harbouring a secret love for me. Of course, I'd be flattered, but I'm not convinced it'd ever work out. You'd hate my loudness and I'd hate your constant reading. We'd drive each other up the wall and end up running off with other people.

James would absolutely love the scandal of it all though.

I hope you're not exhausted with keeping the miscreants in check, I don't doubt their still running a muck without me there regardless of not pulling any pranks, though Pete said things are quite boring. My presence clearly is what you boys revolve around. And you can't argue with me on it now, for I look like the sun in this ugly mustard jumper.

I quite like my role actually, maybe you could be the moon?

For now, I am as good as I can be, that's all I can say on the matter. But keep writing to me, for I promise to open your letters when I receive them from now on, and you always have a way of making me chuckle.

Your Cubby