Baby steps

The Christmas holidays came faster than anyone saw them coming after Ellie and Sirius managed to somewhat reconcile. There was definitely still tension, the beautiful girl kept her distance regardless of him trying his best to be with her almost twenty-four hours a day, and she was a lot quieter than usual. But things were moving back to normal, very slowly, but they were getting there.

James had invited the boys to stay during the holidays as he had done before, but Peter knew his mother would want him home, and Remus was conscious of the fact that the wizarding world wasn't as safe as it once was. He'd wrote to his parents, and they were desperate to have him home, just in case, with a footnote that Hope Lupin had been feeling under the weather too. Lyall hoped that seeing their son would do her the world of good. So the messy haired boy believed it would be just the original trio this Christmas, which he hoped would settle the remaining hostility between Ellie and Sirius, unaware that the beautiful girl had invited a guest of her own.

Lily had been hesitant at first, wanting to see her family as everyone else did, but as soon as Marlene wrote to say that she'd be around the Gryffin's at some point for an Order meeting, the potential for a reunion was an opportunity not to be missed. That, and the fact that she heard her sister Petunia was bringing her boyfriend to their family's Christmas this year, something she wasn't thrilled about.

Though, even with the promise of seeing Marlene at some point, as well as ounces of quality time to spend with Ellie that they'd been very much lacking recently, there was still the worry of James Potter. As of yet, he didn't know she was staying all holiday, and whilst they'd been getting along recently, Lily thought this might just tip him over the edge of being annoying again.

She desperately hoped not, for she'd heard good things about Christmas with the Potters, and she was desperate to see the infamous grounds him and Ellie have always shared.

Tight hugs were given on Platform Nine and Three Quarters, along with the promise from them all to write as the girls said goodbye to Mary, Alice and Frank, and Remus and Peter went off to meet their parents. As always, Sirius was doing his best to dodge seeing Walburga, tucking himself behind James where possible and keeping a beady eye out for if Regulus went striding by, but thankfully, Cyrus and Fleamont arrived before the wicked woman was spotted.

    "There's my boys!" Fleamont roared with joy, scooping both James and Sirius into one huge hug once he'd raced over, successfully embarrassing the messy haired boy in front of Lily.

Ellie and Cyrus hugged each other tightly, before Fleamont cut in for a squeeze and they swapped, the red head waiting patiently to be introduced as she watched on fondly, Marmalade nestled in her arms and purring. So far, there was no doubt Christmas would be as warm with these two families as it was with her own. Eventually, the two men turned to her with the same friendly smiles as Ellie placed her hands on Lily's shoulders.

    "This is dearest Lily-flower, whom you've both heard lots about." She grinned, shooting sidewards glances at James and wiggling her eyebrows.

    "It's lovely to finally meet you both. Thank you for having me stay, Mr Gryffin." Lily gave a little wave to both Cyrus and Fleamont as Marmalade meowed, the red head uncharacteristically shy as she gaged how formal was too formal. She'd not met many purebloods who weren't wild teenage Gryffindors. Though, from the stories Ellie and James had told on the train, she got the impression their fathers were just as reckless as they were when they were at Hogwarts.

    "It's no bother ever. You can call me Cyrus." Ellie's father may have looked intimidating, but he was nothing of the sort.

    "Thank you for having me stay?" James shouted, "YOU'RE STAYING?!"