A wonderful day at the Ministry

After Ellie's birthday, the end of the school year came quicker than anyone wanted, and the last day wasn't as joyous as it usually was. Lily sobbed for hours over Marlene leaving and Ellie had never wanted to let go of her hand, but eventually, they'd had too. The blonde promised that as soon as she was back from travelling during the summer, she'd try and see them both, but saying goodbye on Platform Nine and Three Quarters still felt like she was leaving forever.

Now though, Ellie was reading the back of a postcard Marlene had sent her from New Zealand as she ate breakfast with Cyrus on the table and chairs in the garden. The beautiful girl had received updates of her friend's whereabouts frequently already, and it had not even been a whole week - first it had been Australia, but apparently Marlene was moving around quickly. It was nice to see what she was doing though, and it had gotten Ellie excited for going to France in a couple of days. She'd packed almost as soon as she returned from Hogwarts and was now waiting impatiently for the day to arrive.

However, first, she had the day at the Ministry to contend with.

    "Are you going to promise that you'll be polite to Lyall? He's been very kind to do this for you." Cyrus asked his daughter over the top of the Daily Prophet with a teasing smile.

    "When am I not polite?" Ellie gasped dramatically, making them both chuckle.

    "When you're swearing like a sailor or whacking us violently." James shouted loudly as him and Sirius came barrelling over the lawn in their direction.

They'd come to wish the beautiful girl good luck with her day, having only just woken up, and both Ellie and Cyrus laughed at their dishevelled appearances. Speeding to a halt by the table, James stole the end of Ellie's croissant, shoving it in his mouth as she protested. But she was quickly silenced as Sirius wrapped his arms around her shoulders to peck her on the cheek quickly before pulling away.

    "Don't come back as a stuffy Ministry official." He told her with a mischievous grin, and Ellie's cheeks flushed pink, "No offence Cyrus."

    "We could cast you onto the streets Sirius, don't think we wouldn't." Cyrus didn't look up from his paper, but there was only jest in his tone, and it made Sirius snort.

    "I don't know about that. I think you like me too much."

    "You mistake me for my daughter."

    "No, I don't." Sirius slumped into another one of the chairs, kicking his feet up onto the table as he reclined back, stretching his neck out in the sun. Cyrus just batted his legs with his newspaper.

It was moments like these where Ellie felt a twinge in her heart for deciding to spend all of summer in France. She definitely wanted to go, but a part of her wanted to stay here with Sirius and James too - she'd miss them more than she could express. Though, just as she'd decided when she'd replied to tell Camille about what plans she thought would be best, Ellie knew this would be a good adventure. Perhaps the time away from the boys would do her good, especially since it was a positive experience this time rather than in the wake of Adelaide's death. And anyway, the plans were set in place now, it'd be complicated to rearrange.

Cyrus had asked Ellie to wear her best clothes for the visit, for they obviously had appearances to keep up, and so she found herself in an itchy blouse and uncomfortable skirt that very much reminded her of the clothes she wore whilst at 12 Grimmauld Place. Something that was a memory she didn't want to revisit, but she put up with the outfit for the sake of her father.

It was also important because children weren't usually allowed into the Ministry unless it was for formal business, and so she'd only get into trouble if she didn't behave, especially with the high up position Cyrus held too. He didn't go into the Ministry very often, because most of his work he could do in his office at home, but it was no surprise that when he was around, colleagues and other staff members circled him as if he was the sun. Everyone wanted to please the patriarch of an old pureblood family, perhaps the oldest now, and even the Minister visited him regularly to keep up friendly connections with the man who was practically wizarding royalty.